Solar cover

Jun 23, 2016
Kuna Id
We just got this solar cover yesterday, had it on the pool all day today. When I got home and checked the water the top six inches was hot like a hot tub. To me it seems to work much better than just the the ones that are just blue. The bubble side is black and it seems together a ton of heat. Granted it's a hundred degrees right now and Idaho and I'm sure that has something to do with it. I was going to let it double as a pool cover but I don't think I can do that now. I think in one or two more days I'm going to have a 6000 gallon hot tub.

Attachments

• IMG_20160629_161004313.jpg
    IMG_20160629_161004313.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 57
There are some discussions here on TFP about the value of different opacity of solar covers. Use the search box to find threads discussing this. They all are the same when it comes to preventing evaporation and keeping heat in at night during cooler temperatures. Clear or black covers tend to be the best for gaining heat. Black covers work well at gaining heat at the surface. You can increase heat gain from black (and blue) covers by having the pool circulating during the hottest part of the day. Clear covers tend to gain heat well as black covers do, but the gain of heat is below the surface, deeper in the pool, especially if the pool surface itself is darker. Blue covers are the least expensive option most of the time and are a middle ground that don't gain heat as well as a black or clear cover. The advantage of the standard blue covers is that for large pools and awkward shaped pools, they are usually available in 8 mm thickness making them easier to handle.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks JVTrain. I did read some of those threads, they are very helpfull. Actually this entire site if very helpfull. I do run the filter pump with the cover on. I actually modified the input port to direct the flow better. I used a vacum attachment to afix a PVC 90 so I can direct the water flow 90 degrees in any direction. It works well with those small AG pool pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.