Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cya and slam question

1. Back To Top    #1

cya and slam question

My swg would not keep up. my cya was low so I added it to the pool and now it is at 150. was wondering about the dangers of this and I am still loosing chlorine I added shock about a week ago and was getting a reading of over 10 on total chlorine and 10 on fc. Today's test showed 4 on TC and 3 on FC. Now my water temp is almost 90 and the pool is in total sun here in florida. I did a chlorine lose test and lost 1 overnight. What is stumping me is why the swg is not keeping the chlorine lvl up (my swg is new because I thought the last on wasn't working).
    My next question is when slamming the pool how high do I keep the chlorine lvl and do I just keep adding shock to keep the lvl there?

5400 gal intex pool
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    635t Intex filter (cartridge)
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: cya and slam question

If your CYA is 150 your minimum FC is 11. SLAM level is 60.

How are you testing?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mdsmitty View Post
    My swg would not keep up. my cya was low so I added it to the pool and now it is at 150. was wondering about the dangers of this and I am still loosing chlorine I added shock about a week ago and was getting a reading of over 10 on total chlorine and 10 on fc. Today's test showed 4 on TC and 3 on FC. Now my water temp is almost 90 and the pool is in total sun here in florida. I did a chlorine lose test and lost 1 overnight. What is stumping me is why the swg is not keeping the chlorine lvl up (my swg is new because I thought the last on wasn't working).
    My next question is when slamming the pool how high do I keep the chlorine lvl and do I just keep adding shock to keep the lvl there?

5400 gal intex pool
    How are you measuring that 150ppm CYA? What was your CYA level before you raised it, and what FC target were you trying to maintain?

What type of 'shock' did you add?

150ppm IMHO is unmanageable, with only 5400 gallons it would be best to drain 2/3-3/4 and refill to get that CYA down to 40-50ppm.

Whatever you do at this point, it is critical that you have accurate test measurements. How do you test your water?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I noticed that about a month ago it looked like you had an algae bloom starting, and it was recommended to SLAM the pool.

liner feeling slimy or slick

Did you ever complete a proper SLAM?

Have you done a recent OCLT to rule out algae?

swg will not keep up

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!