1st timer - loved the idea of having a pool

katneedsun

Silver Supporter
May 28, 2016
concord, ca
and I expect to enjoy the reality of having a pool! Not saying love the reality yet as I tackle learning water chemistry.

TFP was extremely helpful in choosing a solar cover and reel as well as the positioning for my bean. Perhaps I can add my two cents for others to learn from my mistakes and successes. Thanks to all for the future advice!

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 44
and I expect to enjoy the reality of having a pool! Not saying love the reality yet as I tackle learning water chemistry.

TFP was extremely helpful in choosing a solar cover and reel as well as the positioning for my bean. Perhaps I can add my two cents for others to learn from my mistakes and successes. Thanks to all for the future advice!
What reel and solar cover do you use? Our build starts in March and I hope to warm the water as quickly as possible! :)

I purchased a 16ml clear from an online pool store and their in-ground aluminum signature series reel. I set it up with the reel at the very end initially but changed it after a year to the reel crossing about 3' feet in at the top or the widest part of the bean. I think I was concerned about the cover rubbing against the concrete coping when I rolled it up/out. I didn't really like the look of the reel across the pool even though it was easier to roll.

My lessons - the cover bubbles started wearing off anyway at 2 years but not just where it rubbed initially, the bolts in the reel wore at the cover where they screwed in to hold the aluminum reel sections together, my robot cleaner ripped away at a small cut out section on the side and the straps from cover to reel were deteriorating and 1 tore. I did keep a white tarp cover over the solar cover when it was reeled in.

It really helped raise the water temp, maintain it overnight, reduced my use of chlorine and extended my swim season longer than my neighbors. I plan to purchase another cover but somehow rubber coat the reel bolts to not wear, probably keep the reel at the end instead of across the pool and plan to replace the straps and cover every 2 years.

Thank you for the lessons learned. I ended up purchasing the ultra clear diamond shape bubble, 12 ml & a Kokido Thor reel. I am pretty impressed with the quality if the reel. I wanted to be able to roll the cover away when using the pool. I may have regrets later, we’ll see! Thanks again for the feedback :)