Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return line plug

1. Back To Top    #1

Return line plug

I purchased a Polaris 360 and I need to plug my return lines. It took me a few hours to be able to unscrew the threaded fitting to plug in the Polaris however I need to plug two more and it's a huge hassle. I am able to unscrew the outer eyeball fitting but unable to unscrew the threaded housing. Are there any outer fittings that I can use to plug the return versus the whole piece?

For example: this part has the thread built in - I just need the outer part.

Amazon.com : Threaded Pool Return Line Plug - IG Pools : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return line plug

What kind of pool do you have? Above ground? In ground? If we knew this info. we could help you better. I have a couple of ideas depending on your pool. Could you please fill out your Signature? Go to Settings-upper right side, edit signature-middle left side. Put in pool kind and size as well as what equipment you have.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

updated
    Inground pool. Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay so since it is an in ground you should have valves by your equipment. Do you know which valve goes to which item-skimmer, return, etc. I am hoping each return has it's own valve.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You can often remove the fittings with a pair of needle nose pliers by spreading the tips to engage the notches inside them. There is a tool made that will remove them as well. It's a Hayward SP-1419T.

You may be able to save yourself a lot of trouble by just rotating the eyeballs until they are about 90 degrees from normal. They will block almost all of the flow. Way easier than plugging.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I will try the 90 degrees from normal. I have the tool and I was not able to remove it. I hacked at it with pliers until i completely broke the plastic threads and then it came out.
    Inground pool. Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, Polaris 360