Cost of concrete decking per sq ft?

Apr 20, 2016
Lexington, ky
What did you pay for your concrete decking per sqft? How much did you pour? We get 4ft around the pool included...thinking we might need about 600 sq ft extra. Curious what others used and were charged so we can get an idea on our budget. TY!

I had 3 quotes from my recent project. In the end, we decided to go with pavers. I would imagine pricing can be region specific.

All were stamped concrete, around 850/sqft. We never got into the colors or patterns. These were all quoted direct from the PBs. Might get a better deal going direct to an installer.

$11.31/sqft
$9.54/sqft
$12/sqft

If you're going with dyed and stamped ask to see past examples. Our neighbors decking looks fairly awful (color not well applied) but we saw a different deck last week that was gorgeous. Levels of skill vary.

We are going with basic brushed concrete. Had considered pavers too... We are doing a mountain pond shape so wasn't sure if we'd need extra concrete due to the shape. Seems like the PB is charging more than if we went direct to the concrete contractors. I guess that would be the norm though.

Hi Crickets, We were debating between Kool Deck and brushed concrete. Brushed is about 40% less than Kool Deck and probably much less than pavers too. Concrete here in Phoenix is probably the cheapest in the country and runs $5-9sf...probably higher in KY and other more northern areas.

We are going with basic brushed concrete. Had considered pavers too... We are doing a mountain pond shape so wasn't sure if we'd need extra concrete due to the shape. Seems like the PB is charging more than if we went direct to the concrete contractors. I guess that would be the norm though.

That's the general idea. He takes added responsibility for it so he takes a cut. You can try to save money negotiating it separately but if anything goes south you'll have to deal with teh finger-pointing between the sub and the general, with each denying responsibility.

Yes you pay more when you hire a general contractor, but you also have a single point of contact and a clear pecking order.

In Georgia, my contract included 1500 sq ft stamped. Anything over was supposed to be $8.50 sq ft. Ended up upgrading to pavers for $1 more a sq ft. Ended up with 2500 sq ft . We also had an option for plain concrete.

So, per foot for me:
concrete - $6.80
stamped - $8.50
pavers - $9.50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those are some lightly high prices. We just had 11 yards of flat work poured Monday on top of the 9 yards of pool decking included in my bid poured last Friday. We used the same concrete guy for both, with my PB knowledge. Through the PB I was paying $5 sq ft for plain grey brushed flat work. Through the concrete guy directly (un-licensed as he technically works under the PB license) we paid $3.50sq ft.

Both the PB or direct to concrete crew, $1+ stamped and $1+ colored.

Wow clubhouse. I was quoted $6/sq back in 2001. I was looking at 10-11 this year. I wound up going with pavers for $15/sq. It's funny how prices vary from region to region. To answer you Crickets I was looking at $10-$11 this year (just outside NYC). Ask about pavers. As you can see by dldave's reply it may not be much more (and they don't crack like concrete).

Wow clubhouse. I was quoted $6/sq back in 2001. I was looking at 10-11 this year. I wound up going with pavers for $15/sq. It's funny how prices vary from region to region. To answer you Crickets I was looking at $10-$11 this year (just outside NYC). Ask about pavers. As you can see by dldave's reply it may not be much more (and they don't crack like concrete).

After I found this guy courtesy of my PB all my neighbors took note. The concrete guy has now already done 2 other small jobs for my neighbors and several others are planning to use him. We are a brand new neighborhood with lots of concrete work needed.

Personally I don't know how this guy is making money at $3.50, mud alone is $95 yard or $1.35 a sq ft for 4" flat work. There are seven guys on the crew and they are efficient, the 11 yards they poured Monday was done start to finish in 6 hours. They started setting forms at 7am, pouring by 9am gone by 1pm. Heard they went and poured another truck (9 yards) in the afternoon. So far everything is still curing, but the work looks great. Time will tell if the work holds up -- but the PB has been using this crew for 3 years with no issues.

In Austin, TX, I saw $5.50-6.50... most were around $6.50. Kool-Cote tried to give me a starting price of something crazy like $5 per sq ft (on top of the cost of the concrete I paid). They quickly came down to $1.85 (supposedly builder price). Note that kool cote is cheaper on new concrete since they don't have to grind it to make it level.

We interviewed like 5 patio guys. Don't recommend the craigslist approach. Ultimately, we found two great ways of identifying good concrete people: 1) recommended by our other contractors that we used, 2) does the concrete work for x, y, and z major builders. The guy we ultimately went with is well known in Austin, is used by the top builders, and has been in the business 20+ years (he was like 50 so he just oversaw the work).

In terms of amount of concrete, I recommend doing as much as you can. At the urging of TFP, we doubled our initial amount and are glad we did. I wouldn't want any more than we did because I still want to retain room for soccer with the kids, but I'm glad we upped it (800 sq ft vs ~400).

Clubhouse -- you got $3.50 a square in California, where Alturas? Where in the valley did you get that? You can't pay a crew and taxes and insurance for that.

So Sacramento is 7 to 22 a foot depending on what you want. For example is it stamped, is the color throughout or only on the surface. What is the prep work. Rebar, wire or nothing?

And its usually less expensive to contract it outside the pool builder.

Small town just south of Fresno

Be sure to note that the concrete crew is not an independent licensed & bonded contractor. They work through the PB under his license and get paid through his payrol. That portion of the job was $4 sq ft and included in my pool bid.

The side work was paid directly to the crew in cash, with the pool builders knowledge but was not involved in the transaction. I have no idea how the money was shared and I doubt seriously any insurance or taxes were set aside by the guys.

By the way construction labor typically is paid $12-$15 hour around here. This certainly not the Bay Area or LA.

Sacramento is certainly higher, but my Brother in Law is in Eldorado Hills and last fall had about a 500 sq ft patio extension poured for $5. Agian it was side work for a crew paid in cash and it was grey/brushed, not stamped and/or colored. There are plenty of people willing to do concrete for far less than $7-$22.

$6.50/sqft for the concrete, $5.50/sqft for the stamped overlay and coloring (effectively a kool deck application).

Worth noting that stamped concrete and stamped overlay are a little different. Stamped concrete is where the concrete itself is stamped and colored whilst still curing and gas to be done before it sets. Stamped overlay is applied on top of the concrete in a separate application.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.