Sand Filter loses its gumption

Jun 29, 2016
Edmond, OK
Thanks so much for reading. I have a new (2 weeks) Intex Sand Filter (2800 GPH, for my 18' Intex above-ground inflated ring pool). I love it! It has just worked great. But starting yesterday, the flow rate will slow about 2 minutes after turning it on. Yesterday I was trying to vacuum dead algae (I think...gray matter on the bottom of the pool) and it was going beautifully. Then after 2 minutes I had significant flow loss (I didn't think to check the pressure gauge). I gave up for the night and stopped.

This morning, without me doing anything, the pump/filter was working beautifully again (no vacuum attached). So I started vacuuming again, this time to waste. Got 75% of the pool finished and then...again...practically no flow.

I've called Intex and they are sending me a new pump, but the woman I spoke with seemed to have no pool knowledge whatsoever. I tried to ask why this would be happening (works great and then all but stops) but she had no idea. I feel that, since it's working so great at first, there must be some way that I can fix this. Can anyone help? I appreciate any replies!

Do you notice any air in the pre-filter basket once it stops working? My suspicion is a suction side air leak.

Turn the pump off and see if water is leaking anywhere between the pool and the pump.

If you only have this problem while vacuuming, your vacuum hose has a hole or isn't connected well somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.