New Endless Pool - Garage Install

Jun 8, 2016
South Carolina
I wasn't sure exactly what section to put this in, so I decided to try it out here. As a background... I have absolutely no pool care experience other than swimming in them.

My wife and I were looking at getting a normal pool, but our yard and the fact that we will be moving in 4 or 5 years just made the cost too high to absorb once we move. Above ground pools aren't allowed in the neighborhood, so that killed that idea. What we ended up with and we are 90% sure that we will go with is a 9x15x51" deep (water depth) Endless Pool installed in one of our garage spaces. This will provide a good area for year round exercise and won't be a major issue if the kids splash some. Still looking up permit issues.. but would probably get me around the HOA issue if they decided to call it a pool instead of a hot tub. We could also pack it up and take it with us when we move and do a much better and integrated install when we build our next house.

My biggest question surrounding the purchase is what sanitation system options to consider. It looks like the pool comes with a Nature 2 System but also has an optional UV System available. I haven't asked.. but on the surface it doesn't look like there would be any discount for not including the Nature 2 system in the purchase.

I'm 90% certain that initial install will be indoors in a fairly open garage space. Water temp will probably be maintained between 80-85 degrees.

My main questions:

1. Would you buy the UV Sanitizer ($700)? My thought is that if this helps reduce the amount of testing etc it would be worth it... With my schedule and 3 kids under the age of 3... testing daily may be possible at first to get things setup.. but probably not sustainable for the long term.

2. If I buy the UV Sanitizer... does running the Nature 2 system actually do much for me? Would I really get any benefit from running both systems? I'll still have to add some chlorine, and I just talked to someone who told me that they managed to get some algae in their endless pool with both the Nature 2 and the UV filter (they did say that they were sick for a while and the chlorine probably dropped to zero during that time).

I'm interested in your thoughts.

What does the HOA care what you have in your garage? Do they have specific rules against indoor hot tubs? What about Jacuzzi bathtubs? How would the HOA know what's in your garage?

I have no experience with UV systems, but it can't hurt.

That was my point... if I put it under my elevated back deck... then it matters what the HOA thinks. If I put it indoors.. .then the only issue I would possibly have would be with permits for installing the equipment, which I think would be a non-issue, but I'm in the process of finding out.

The UV does not reduce the need for testing or proper sanitizer levels. One of the few places we do recommend UV systems is in indoor pools as you no longer get the natural UV from the sun to break down the CCs.

We have had several other people visit talking about installing standard above ground pools in a garage and there were a lot of issues regarding electrical compliance.

The National Electrical Code divides pools into two categories

-Permanently Installed Pools
-Storable Swimming Pools

The requirements are more involved for Permanently Installed Pools and I think the defining factor is that Permanently Installed Pools are over 48" deep.

This is geting out of my normal lane so I will defer to our electrical experts regarding this type of installation indoors.

Do you plan on parking any cars in this garage?

Sorry, but I am very much against these "pool in my garage" ideas. You will have a large body of chlorinated water open to your garage 24/7. It's a confined space, often with little to no ventilation. Everything in the garage is going to get damp and the humidity is going to be very high. Couple that with the absolute need to use chlorine as a sanitizer and everything metallic in the garage is going to be subject to higher levels of corrosion and mold growth. Indoor pools only work well when the space they are put into is properly design to handle the atmosphere created by the pool. I feel for your situation with little ones, no pool and an overly restrictive HOA (the restriction against AGPs is just dumb!) but I really think this is a bad idea.

My suggestion, which you surely do not want to hear, is this - scrap the idea and save the money you'd spend on this project for your future dream home and pool.

That just my 2-cent personal opinion. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The permitting brochure is great. But it just says you have to comply with local ordinances. And they are usually some form of the NEC. And Part I of Chapter 680 of the NEC applies to all pools permanent, storable, Micky Mouse.

It generally provides that there can be no electrical above a pool unless its more than about 22 feet or in a raceway. That's why when you go into pool houses all the lights are on the side of the pool. Garages typically have sheathed cable ("Romex") often all over the place. That is not in a raceway. How about the Romex in the ceiling?

Now many garages have communications cables and there are limitations on those.

But there is a problem with lights. Any overhead light within five horizontal feet of the pool must be at least 9 feet above the water surface.But that rule applies to permanent pools not a storable pool like yours. The code says nothing about lights above storable pools. And that is a problem.

Before I submit plans I would go down and talk to the building department, and see how they interpret all of this. Don't just submit plans. You do not know how many times we get into serious arguments with building inspectors over items in the plans that were obvious to us and the engineer but the issue with the code escaped plan checking who for some reason does not like our solution to the ambiguity. Sometimes those solutions are expensive. Talk before you submit. Point out the problems even if the counter person doesn't bring them up. There is a great deal of room here for the inspector to interpret, you don't want to be on the wrong end of it.

Where is your attic access. Some fire departments require that are be readily accessible. I have a more colorful description of the view of some fire departments of blocked attic access but the forum won't print it. I have two heaters in a mechanical room in my attic. I am required to keep that access clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for your replies Gwegan. I've seen plenty of pictures of these and other swim spas installed in garages, so I know it's possible. I'll be heading to the codes office next week to have the discussion with them and see if they foresee any snags. I'm thinking that the humidity can be controlled with consistent use of a good cover and a dehumidifier. I've also seen where others have installed an exhaust fan as well.

Stepping back from the physical install, which as a mechanical engineer, I'll get figured out to my satisfaction before proceeding..... Any one have any comments on my questions relating to the water sanitation system?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.