Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump basket air - should there be any?

1. Back To Top    #1

pump basket air - should there be any?

Hello!

I was having trouble with priming my vacuum hose and was browsing around for possible causes, and one mentioned was a suction side air leak.

Question: When my pump is in normal operation (no vacuum attached), looking through the lid the basket is completely full except for a small air pocket at the top, between 1/3 and 1/2 the diameter of the lid. Does that indicate an air leak, or is that normal?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    24,300 gallons, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter, 3ft to 9ft deep

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: pump basket air - should there be any?

It's most likely normal. An easy way to 'prime' the vacuum hose is to hold it over a return. Once all the bubbles stop it's pretty near full.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I did that. I just wanted to rule out the leak issue. That's a relief at least that the bubble at the top is fairly normal.

Um, I just realized my vac head is missing one of the little knob things, there's one on each side. Not sure what those are for, would that affect it? (sorry if this is a dumb question...)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Sorry, will need a picture to help with that one.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Sorry, will need a picture to help with that one.
    Like this, one of the two blue knobs is missing:

poolmaster-27400-classic-air-vinyl-liner-vacuum-head-13-inch-076bf3620732f13dbe982ca488981c93.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If the whole piece is missing you are going to lose suction through that hole.

7. Back To Top    #7

AHHHHH, I wish I would have thought of that sooner.

Alright, I will get a vacuum head then. Thanks for fielding my questions!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

You could try putting strong tape. like Gorilla tape, on top covering the four little holes.

- - - Updated - - -

The only purpose for those is to help relieve some of the vacuum. Not sure why you would want to do that, though.

9. Back To Top    #9

Alright, thanks again!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

You are very welcome! Glad to be of service.