Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pump Flow Rate

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pump Flow Rate

I am considering installing a Stenner pump (or a similar apparatus) to continuously add chlorine to the pool. My wife and I take frequent trips, and I am tired of coming home to algae. I am in southwest Florida, which means the pool gets a lot of intense sun. It is about 12,000 gallons and has about 300 square feet of surface area. Is there a simple formula I can use to estimate how much chlorine I should be adding daily? Of course I'll still be testing the water and making regular corrections, but it would be nice to have something other than a wild guess to use as a starting point.
    12,000 Gallon, In-Ground, Plaster, Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pump Flow Rate

Welcome to TFP!!!

How are you maintaining the chlorine now?

FC consumption is dependent on pool specifics, size, debris load, sun exposure, stabilizer (CYA) level etc. It is typical for a pool to require 2-4ppm of FC to be added daily.

You can use PoolMath to calculate how much bleach is likely to be required daily.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

How are you maintaining the chlorine now?
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I currently test the chlorine every other day or so. If it is low, I use the pool calculator to decide how much 10% liquid bleach to add. The problem is that if we leave for more than a few days, we invariably come back to algae. I used to use a floater with chlorine tablets while we were away, but my CYA is already higher than it should be.

I still haven't decided between a SWG or a Stenner pump. If I go the Stenner pump route, adding 2ppm per day sounds like a good place start. Thanks for the advice.

4. Back To Top    #4

Since you have been adding bleach ... how many ppm of FC are you typically adding every other day? That is a better place to start from.

What is your CYA level? How low have you been letting the FC get on a daily basis?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Since you have been adding bleach ... how many ppm of FC are you typically adding every other day? That is a better place to start from.

What is your CYA level? How low have you been letting the FC get on a daily basis?
    I haven't really been keeping track, but I will start. I'd say I add about a half a gallon to a gallon of the 10% bleach in a typical week. My CYA is at currently at 80, although every time we have a heavy rain, I drain a couple of inches, so it is going down gradually. I try to keep my FC between 4 and 6.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, that is why you keep getting algae. Your FC level is too low.

With a CYA of 80ppm, according to the FC/CYA Chart, your FC should NEVER be allowed to get below 6ppm. So you likely need to be targeting 8-9ppm every day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator