Which vacuum cleaner is best to clean algae on walls?

wysocki

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2015
Covina,CA
I have a 3-10' deep gunite pool with rounded corners and vacuum port on the side. I need to keep my chlorine level low for medical reasons so I get a bit of algae that I need to manually sweep the walls and bottom regularly. I had a Hayward Navigator and it helped keep the bottom fairly clean, but it died and I replaced it with an Aquanaut 200. Although this unit may do ok picking up large leaves, it does next to nothing in sweeping or picking up sand or algae. I need something that actually disturbs the sand/algae before sucking it up. I was thinking about the Pentair Kreepy Krauly. Also their Great White has actual brushes, but reviews sound a bit sketchy on performance. The Barracuda sounded good but everyone I talk to says it's too complex and high maintenance.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a low maintenance unit with ability to sweep sand and algae from bottom and sides?

I've had a Shark, a Polaris and a Robot (Dolphin). The Robot is far my favorite of all the cleaners. Polaris ok for picking up leaves. And the Shark was such garbage I sold it for 50 bucks on Craigslist.

But nothing beats a good old brushing of the walls with a stainless steel brush in a gunite pool and then let the robot pick up what you brushed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.