Testing salt content with K-1766

Jul 2, 2007
I've had a new swg pool up for about a week and just got my Taylor K-1766 test kit. Up to this point I was relying on the SWG reading and I went once to a pool store for results.
My SWG and pool store testing were about the same when I tested last week. SWG was reading 2900 and pool store said 3000. So I added half a bag of salt to get up to more optimal levels.
Now SWG reads 3200 which I am happy with. I have no plans to go back to pool store.
However, I just got the K-1766 and did a test with it. Following the directions I filled the tube to the 10 ml and added 1 drop of the first regent. Water turned yellow as expected. I went to the next regent and starting adding drops.
The first drop turned the water cloudy but also the first 3 or so drops seemed to clump up and not really mix with the water. Is this normal? By the time I got the water to change color I was 20 drops in which should = 4000 parts salt. Which is a lot higher than I was expecting.
Am I doing something wrong? Is the clumping of the first few drops normal? Could my PH levels effect this test. I'm thinking I have high ph and ta but waiting for my new test kit to be sure. My current kit is about 4 years old and I'm not sure its accurate.

I've had a new swg pool up for about a week and just got my Taylor K-1766 test kit. Up to this point I was relying on the SWG reading and I went once to a pool store for results.
My SWG and pool store testing were about the same when I tested last week. SWG was reading 2900 and pool store said 3000. So I added half a bag of salt to get up to more optimal levels.
Now SWG reads 3200 which I am happy with. I have no plans to go back to pool store.
However, I just got the K-1766 and did a test with it. Following the directions I filled the tube to the 10 ml and added 1 drop of the first regent. Water turned yellow as expected. I went to the next regent and starting adding drops.
The first drop turned the water cloudy but also the first 3 or so drops seemed to clump up and not really mix with the water. Is this normal? By the time I got the water to change color I was 20 drops in which should = 4000 parts salt. Which is a lot higher than I was expecting.
Am I doing something wrong? Is the clumping of the first few drops normal? Could my PH levels effect this test. I'm thinking I have high ph and ta but waiting for my new test kit to be sure. My current kit is about 4 years old and I'm not sure its accurate.

I also use the K-1766 to test my salt level and do see some pieces of stuff in the test vial. I use the Speedstir so it's not much. Make sure the water is a brick red/orange color as the end result.

This test needs a lot of swirling ... the SpeedStir helps a lot. And there are always white chunks that develop.

FYI, my Taylor has always read about 600-800ppm higher than my SWG reports ... it is most important that the SWG is happy. So, I just have used the test to ensure that increment stays pretty constant. Lately it is not and my SWG is reading 1200ppm lower ... I think my cell is dying :(

I think the Taylor is likely more accurate than the salt test strips ;)

And for SURE the Taylor is going to be more consistent than the strips.

Most the the Taylor tests seem to state an accuracy of +/- 1 drop (+/- 200ppm) but even that could be a little optimistic.

You could use a 25ml sample and then each drop is 80ppm ... but no real need since the SWG is just estimating the salt level based on temperature and conductivity (which is impacted by other things besides NaCl).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.