Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Testing salt content with K-1766

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Testing salt content with K-1766

    I've had a new swg pool up for about a week and just got my Taylor K-1766 test kit. Up to this point I was relying on the SWG reading and I went once to a pool store for results.
    My SWG and pool store testing were about the same when I tested last week. SWG was reading 2900 and pool store said 3000. So I added half a bag of salt to get up to more optimal levels.
    Now SWG reads 3200 which I am happy with. I have no plans to go back to pool store.
    However, I just got the K-1766 and did a test with it. Following the directions I filled the tube to the 10 ml and added 1 drop of the first regent. Water turned yellow as expected. I went to the next regent and starting adding drops.
    The first drop turned the water cloudy but also the first 3 or so drops seemed to clump up and not really mix with the water. Is this normal? By the time I got the water to change color I was 20 drops in which should = 4000 parts salt. Which is a lot higher than I was expecting.
    Am I doing something wrong? Is the clumping of the first few drops normal? Could my PH levels effect this test. I'm thinking I have high ph and ta but waiting for my new test kit to be sure. My current kit is about 4 years old and I'm not sure its accurate.
    14,000 gal, above ground 18x33 oval pool with Hayward pump 1.5hp, Hayward SWG, Sand filter .

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Flbeachluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Port Orange, FL
    Posts
    328

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    Quote Originally Posted by delongboy View Post
    I've had a new swg pool up for about a week and just got my Taylor K-1766 test kit. Up to this point I was relying on the SWG reading and I went once to a pool store for results.
    My SWG and pool store testing were about the same when I tested last week. SWG was reading 2900 and pool store said 3000. So I added half a bag of salt to get up to more optimal levels.
    Now SWG reads 3200 which I am happy with. I have no plans to go back to pool store.
    However, I just got the K-1766 and did a test with it. Following the directions I filled the tube to the 10 ml and added 1 drop of the first regent. Water turned yellow as expected. I went to the next regent and starting adding drops.
    The first drop turned the water cloudy but also the first 3 or so drops seemed to clump up and not really mix with the water. Is this normal? By the time I got the water to change color I was 20 drops in which should = 4000 parts salt. Which is a lot higher than I was expecting.
    Am I doing something wrong? Is the clumping of the first few drops normal? Could my PH levels effect this test. I'm thinking I have high ph and ta but waiting for my new test kit to be sure. My current kit is about 4 years old and I'm not sure its accurate.
    I also use the K-1766 to test my salt level and do see some pieces of stuff in the test vial. I use the Speedstir so it's not much. Make sure the water is a brick red/orange color as the end result.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    This test needs a lot of swirling ... the SpeedStir helps a lot. And there are always white chunks that develop.

    FYI, my Taylor has always read about 600-800ppm higher than my SWG reports ... it is most important that the SWG is happy. So, I just have used the test to ensure that increment stays pretty constant. Lately it is not and my SWG is reading 1200ppm lower ... I think my cell is dying
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Flbeachluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Port Orange, FL
    Posts
    328

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    FYI, my Taylor has always read about 600-800ppm higher than my SWG reports
    Mine is just the opposite, my K-1766 reads lower than my SWG
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    Well, the SWG and the tests are each only good to +/- 400ppm or so ... obviously mileage varies
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    Wow.. not real comforting. I always thought the drop tests were fairly accurate. I guess for now I'll just try and keep the SWG happy and keep an eye on what the taylor test is reporting.
    14,000 gal, above ground 18x33 oval pool with Hayward pump 1.5hp, Hayward SWG, Sand filter .

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Flbeachluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Port Orange, FL
    Posts
    328

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    Quote Originally Posted by delongboy View Post
    Wow.. not real comforting. I always thought the drop tests were fairly accurate. I guess for now I'll just try and keep the SWG happy and keep an eye on what the taylor test is reporting.
    Well for me the difference is only 100ppm so that's pretty negligible.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    I think the Taylor is likely more accurate than the salt test strips

    And for SURE the Taylor is going to be more consistent than the strips.

    Most the the Taylor tests seem to state an accuracy of +/- 1 drop (+/- 200ppm) but even that could be a little optimistic.

    You could use a 25ml sample and then each drop is 80ppm ... but no real need since the SWG is just estimating the salt level based on temperature and conductivity (which is impacted by other things besides NaCl).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    113

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    Cloudiness and chunks are normal, also on occasion when draining tube and cleaning fingers may turn black. Short term nuisance.
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    Yup, the silver nitrate turns the skin brown.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    Thanks for the input everybody... I'll try a little extra swirling since I am doing it by hand and I'll take the results with a grain of salt.
    14,000 gal, above ground 18x33 oval pool with Hayward pump 1.5hp, Hayward SWG, Sand filter .

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    113

    Re: Testing salt content with K-1766

    Quote Originally Posted by delongboy View Post
    I'll take the results with a grain of salt.
    not too many grains!
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •