2nd SLAM

Jun 16, 2016
Suitland, MD
I ended a SLAM at the end of last week (probably a little premature). After two days I noticed that the pool was getting a little cloudy again and decided to lower the Ph to 7.2 and started a new SLAM with plans of being more vigilant and not ending until I passed all three criteria. (last week my OCLT showed a loss of about 1.5ppm). I am now measuring chlorine and testing more often. My question is... the water seems to be getting cloudier and greener even though I have been adding more and more chlorine.. is this normal during the process? I am brushing several times a day and running the Aquabot a couple of times a day.

MY CYA was somewhere between 30 and 40 when I started the SLAM. I tested the PH last night and looked to be about 7.4 but seem for remember seeing information that it can read high during SLAM. I started the SLAM Sunday night. I am using 16ppm as my SLAM levels. I am testing in the morning, noontime, 5:00 and at 9 or 10 before going to bed. Adding bleach as indicated using pool math. When I brush I can visible see greenish stuff being swept up.

Sounds good. I'm guessing it's dead algae. There should be some improvement daily, post pics! If the stuff settles on the bottom you could vacuum it up or stir it up like you've been doing and let the filter catch it.

I got new reagents yesterday and retested my CYA. A couple of questions here: Is the CYA test valid during a SLAM? I got what looked more like 50 than the 40 I first thought so I upped the bleach to about 19ppm. Today I retested CYA and it now looks like 40 again. Is there any harm with leaving the chlorine level at 19ppm or around there if my CYA is indeed 40? I am not seeing much improvement even though I am more vigilant than the SLAM I started and abandoned two weeks ago.

Yes, the CYA test is valid during a SLAM. It's a little wasteful to go over SLAM, but it won't hurt anything (won't help either). If you get above 40 round up to 50. Another helpful hint, once the black dot disappears, pour it back into the squirt bottle and do it again. Take 3 readings and average them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.