Preparing pool for the first time help!

A proper test kit is the most important tool for maintaining your pool. It cannot be done without it. Check out the recommended test kits in Pool School. Pool School - Test Kits Compared The TF-100 is the best $70 you'll ever spend on your pool (see link in my signature).

You'll need cyanuric acid (aka stablizer or CYA). You'll need muriatic acid to lower pH. You'll need bleach to sanitize the pool.

Most importantly, spend some time in Pool School, starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thank you!

Currently we have:

Chemicals

10% Pool Chlorine ("bleach")
clorox ph down
baking soda
borax
clorox stabilizer

Test Kit
Taylor Technologies K-2005 - DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

I have been using the pool calculator to help me figure out how much of what to add.

I'll get that as soon as possible. I have been in the hospital with gallstones and acute pancreatitis :sad:for a week and when I got home the pool was turning yellow/green!! I added chlorine right away, and that was the only thing out of whack according to my current test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.