New pool owner from Montreal!

Jun 29, 2016
Montreal
Hello guys,

Me and the GF are proud new owners of a 21 foot saltwater pool. The installation will take place tomorrow morning. I can't wait to take my first swim in it!

We are complete newbies when it comes to pools and water. I found this forum out of sheer luck on google, and I must say, I am really happy to have found you guys!

I am going to read the entire pool school section and hopefully get familiar enough with pools to get mine started before the weekend. If you guys have any suggestions on what to read or what to do, then let me know.

I already have a first question: I read somewhere that I must wait 30 days before starting a salt-chlorine generator. Does that mean I can't use the pool for 30 days? Is this true and what am I supposed to do?

Thanks and see you all soon!

First things first you need a good test kit. Link in signature.

I don't know the reasoning between leaving the SWG off at first, but it would be great to learn how to manage the pool without it, that way you have a very good idea of how to maintain without the automation, those things don't work forever and the day it goes out is not the day you want to start learning :)

Read the ABCs of Water Chemistry and post any questions you have. Fill out your signature with your pool/pump info.

Welcome to TFP!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I second that recommendation for a good test kit. Here in the states we use the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. IN your area you may be restricted to just the Taylor K-2006C because of limited shipping rules. But you definitely want to make that a priority. As for the SWG being off for 30 days, that's for new plaster pools. Here are a couple good links about SWGs:
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Nice to have you with us!