Replastering pool, tiles, and MAYBE coping? not sure what to do?

Jun 28, 2016
antioch ca
Good morning everyone. Im new to this site. and am desperate for advise. There are SO many people out there with different opinions that Im not sure which way to go! I have a pool (no spa) that over 25 years old. 3 years ago, i had my deck and coping done but couldn't afford to do the pool and tile at that time. Now I'm in a position that I may be able to swing it.
Its in desperate need of being replastered and tiled. I had a pool company come out yesterday to give me an estimate. To replaster and retile, it came to almost $6,000. However, the bad news was that they said the COPING would probably have to be replaced. They walked around the perimeter of the pool (which is 80) and knocked on the brick coping. they said "listen to the sound on these and then on these. Two separate sounds. Supposedly it should sound HOLLOW when they knocked on it with a rock, and a lot of them didn't. they sounded like "clicks". thats the best way i could describe it. The person has a feeling that they may have to redo the coping, because whoever did it before did it wrong. They said if they tiled it without doing that, the tiles would not hold.
My question is, HOW do i know they are telling me something thats really true. Im so confused about this, and really need some advise. Im in California, about 45 miles from Sacramento area. could really use some advise. :(

The clicking you are hearing is the coping not properly adhered to the surface of the gunite. I would listen to their advice and redo it all. In my climate, where there is freezing in the winter, this would not even be a question. Water/moisture gets under the coping, finds it's way behind the tile, freezes and pops loose everything.

I imagine Antioch, CA is not that case, but even non freezing water under coping and behind tile will cause issues over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.