Foaming upon pool start and when adding bleach

dlwyman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2013
Poughkeepsie, NY
Hey guys, I am looking for some guidance.

I have been following TFP for several years. I have learned tons of info. from the forums and the school, but have never posted as I usually find what I need from other postings on the site. For the past two weeks we have been having the following problem - when the pool goes on in the morning and any time bleach is added to the pool there is foaming from the return for about 10 minutes which eventually dissipates. The water looks and feels fine and I don't think I am combating an algae problem, but don't really know why the foaming. We did mistakenly add a gallon of low splash bleach around the same time we noticed the problem starting, but have since used straight bleach.

Current numbers

fc 5.5
cc .5
ph 7.5
ta 100
ch 80
cya 50

Full disclosure -
Our pool is older, early 70's, and needs to be babied. We currently have a small leak in the output, and fixed two others in the line last summer. The Hayward pump is older too and we have had to work on it a few times in the last 5 years.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

• 0Q9A1485.jpg
    0Q9A1485.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 0Q9A1483.jpg
    0Q9A1483.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 44
The splashless bleach you added contains organic wetting and thickening agents in it to make it pour into water without splashing. It is those chemicals that are causing the foaming.

Unfortunately the chemicals used are highly resistant to chlorine oxidation so you're going to have to live with the foaming until the filter can physically filter the chemicals out (may take a long time) or they naturally break down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.