Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foaming upon pool start and when adding bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Foaming upon pool start and when adding bleach

Hey guys, I am looking for some guidance.

I have been following TFP for several years. I have learned tons of info. from the forums and the school, but have never posted as I usually find what I need from other postings on the site. For the past two weeks we have been having the following problem - when the pool goes on in the morning and any time bleach is added to the pool there is foaming from the return for about 10 minutes which eventually dissipates. The water looks and feels fine and I don't think I am combating an algae problem, but don't really know why the foaming. We did mistakenly add a gallon of low splash bleach around the same time we noticed the problem starting, but have since used straight bleach.

Current numbers

fc 5.5
    cc .5
    ph 7.5
    ta 100
    ch 80
    cya 50

Full disclosure -
    Our pool is older, early 70's, and needs to be babied. We currently have a small leak in the output, and fixed two others in the line last summer. The Hayward pump is older too and we have had to work on it a few times in the last 5 years.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    23,700 gal, inground, vinyl, DE, TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Foaming upon pool start and when adding bleach

What kind of bleach are you using?
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

3. Back To Top    #3

Deleted
    25K Gallon IG vinyl lined L shaped Haywoard Pro Series sand filter, T-CELL-9, Super Pump
    415 Gallon Leisure Bay Spas Elite Series Cordova Hottub

4. Back To Top    #4

The splashless bleach you added contains organic wetting and thickening agents in it to make it pour into water without splashing. It is those chemicals that are causing the foaming.

Unfortunately the chemicals used are highly resistant to chlorine oxidation so you're going to have to live with the foaming until the filter can physically filter the chemicals out (may take a long time) or they naturally break down.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok. Thanks! I thought it would have broken down by now based on the size of the pool and the fact that it was only one gallon, but I guess it takes a lot longer than I thought.
    23,700 gal, inground, vinyl, DE, TF-100 kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Responders, OP states what bleach he is using in his post. Please read carefully before you respond.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School