Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need pump information

1. Back To Top    #1

need pump information

Hi, I am new to the forum although I have been reading lots of great Q and As which is why I joined. Great information but some of it is from awhile back so will ask fresh:

Our pump is about to go--we know this because it has become VERY loud and sounds as if straining and ready to blow (probably bad bearings). This may have happened either because it is old (2006 but motor has been replaced at least once by previous owner) or because we had a leak and water level got too low before we realized.

Anyway, we do not really want to go with a straight replacement of a Hayward 1 hp and/or motor replacement of Marathon. We would like to "start fresh" with newer, energy efficient model.
    My husband found the EcoPump and we were interested in that....we were recommended EP-4 by two different dealers, but it has mixed opinions on this site....yesterday I saw recommendations of Pentair but one of the models (SuperFlo VS 342001) is not on the Pentair website and I wonder why? I did find it on sunplay.com

In your opinions is a VS better than a 2 speed?

Anyone know about the warranty requirements for the EcoPump? I see Pentair requires professional installation, but my husband is very handy and we cannot justify the cost of some one randomly chosen to come and swap it out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    10000 gallons, skimmer, 3 jets, free form inground, built in 2006, kind of Hayward 1 hp pump but motor has been switched to Marathon.
    I use a Dolphin Premier "robot" to clean the pool and love it!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need pump information

Here is the Pentair page for the 342001
    http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...d-pump-464.htm

For your pool set up a 1 hp 2 speed pump will be great. Run it on low to filter and high to vacuum. It will cut your electricity usage more than in half.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

The SuperFlo can be wired to 110V, simple installation.
    It also comes with PVC fittings.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

4. Back To Top    #4

we do not use a typical vacuum for cleaning our pool--pump/filtration system does not get used. The Dolphin Premier robot is its own "system"--it has its own vacuum via the robot/control set up. It has its own filtration system like a vacuum bag that runs on a regular wall outlet. Also we do not get a lot of debris because we have a covered lanai cage.

"Pooldv" why 2 speed and not VS? thanks!
    10000 gallons, skimmer, 3 jets, free form inground, built in 2006, kind of Hayward 1 hp pump but motor has been switched to Marathon.

5. Back To Top    #5

A two speed will save about 75% in energy costs on low speed vs high speed. A VS will save more in energy costs but will also cost more up front. If you can get a nice size rebate from the power company to offset that cost, a VS might make more sense. Otherwise a two speed could have a lower life time cost in areas where the energy rates are not so high. Especially if you just replace the motor on your current pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I see the biggest disadvantage of a Pentair is their warranty since my husband would be doing the install. Any suggestions for a pump with an "easier" warranty? We are leaning towards a variable speed...

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is Hayward's version of that pump, Hayward MaxFlo VS Pump SP2302VSP | Hayward SP2302VSP
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Is the Hayward MaxFLO VS SP2302VSP going to be "too much" for our pool? Pool is only 10000 gal and we currently have 1 HP; the one Pooldv recommends looks promising (and is on sale at amazon) but it is a 1 1/2 HP.....s

9. Back To Top    #9

No worries. A vs pump is variable so you can make it any "size" you want. Plus that pump is the smallest vs on the market.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

so now for the next question: our current marathon motor 5KC39PN2822BX reads "Volts 115/230" but the recommended Hayward says 230 Volts (or a "newer" model comes in either 115 OR 230)...which would we need?! Never realized this would be soooo complicated!

11. Back To Top    #11

Is the current motor wired for 115v or 230v? You can tell by the breaker.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

double 20 amp breaker

13. Back To Top    #13

That is 230v.
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

back from vacation and still working on this....went to Leslies yesterday; their recommendation is a Jacuzzi (we can find zero reviews) or a Pentair IntelliFlo VST. Opinions?
    what is the difference between the IntelliFlo they are recommending vs the SuperFlo VS pooldv first recommended?

15. Back To Top    #15

The Intelliflo costs more, is a bit more efficient and has a few more features (e.g. more than 3 speeds, rotatable display, higher top end).
    Mark

16. Back To Top    #16

is it worth going with this one (Intelliflo) even if we only have a 10000 gal pool (concern is too much power for the 2" piping)? We may put in a heater in the near future. If it comes down to it, we would prefer to pay more up front and have it last and be "what we need" down the road.

17. Back To Top    #17

It may not be worth going for a VS at all. As I suggested earlier, unless you get a fat rebate from the power company, just replacing your current motor with a two speed motor will likely have a lower lifetime cost than a VS.

But again, the fact that the Intelliflo is a very large pump is irrelevant. You can change the maximum speed so it never reaches those flow rates.

If you do go with a VS, make sure you install power surge protection.
    Mark