Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting post on gardenweb forum about TFP site

1. Back To Top    #1

Interesting post on gardenweb forum about TFP site

I used the gardenweb site a number of years ago when doing our DIY inground pool so still stop by there from time to time to review and respond to posts ( although they dont seem to get much traffic lately). Was kinda interesting to read someones post who was butthurt because not everyone here believes UV sanitation is the end all-be all for pools. Turns out they are a PB that pushes UV and believes SWGs have too many downsides compared to UV (I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion?)

They made A number of misstated comments about this site which I posted a reply to indicate were not factual (as did a number of other TFP members did before me).

Personally, I dont think Ive found a site more dedicated to teaching owners how to manage their pools or address problems that have them stumped to the direct benefit to the poster with zero strings attached or monetary gain by the site owner. What a great community of pool enthusiasts we have here!
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Interesting post on gardenweb forum about TFP site

Quote Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
    I used the gardenweb site a number of years ago when doing our DIY inground pool so still stop by there from time to time to review and respond to posts ( although they dont seem to get much traffic lately). Was kinda interesting to read someones post who was butthurt because not everyone here believes UV sanitation is the end all-be all for pools. Turns out they are a PB that pushes UV and believes SWGs have too many downsides compared to UV (I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion?)

They made A number of misstated comments about this site which I posted a reply to indicate were not factual (as did a number of other TFP members did before me).

Personally, I dont think Ive found a site more dedicated to teaching owners how to manage their pools or address problems that have them stumped to the direct benefit to the poster with zero strings attached or monetary gain by the site owner. What a great community of pool enthusiasts we have here!
    I've found their gardening advice to be pretty good and have gotten some good answers to my questions but I agree on the pool & spa forum. So glad I found this forum instead!
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

3. Back To Top    #3

Love me some TFP friends! THANKS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I remember that particular poster. She joined this site and immediately started promoting UV for pools and her "special" knowledge of them.

She was asked by a moderator to please slow down and read what we teach first. That seemed to inspire her to post even more false information....particularly about the horrors of chlorine and it got so outrageous she was removed from this forum.

She rushed to gardenweb to post what she did and it remains there as a testimonial, I think, to her lack of ethic.

TFP is directed by rock solid science and we will always challenge claims made by anybody or anything that doesn't have factual information behind them.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

gardenweb, like many forums on the internet is kind of a free for all, you can post anything you want and the owners don't care. We do!

We base everything on science, and science has proven that chlorine is the best pool sanitizer going. There are a few folks posting over there who have been banned here because they are unwilling to follow our rules. It's simple, every one follows our rules on our site. You don't like the rules, find another site or start your own.

UV has a place in the pool/spa industry. Ozone has a place in the pool/spa industry. Other things like algecide, floc, and clarifier also have a place in the pool/spa industry. The problem arises that the "industry" (builders/stores/cleaning services) put their goal to make money above your goal to have a clean sanitary pool at the lowest cost. They start selling you all kinds of stuff without really knowing what is going on with your pool.

When they start making accusations that TFP is supported by the "chlorine industry" and anyone is getting rich selling test kits they are moving into the realm of conspiracy theorists.

Thanks for your support over there, but posting support for TFP over there is kind of like trying to teach a pig to whistle. You are generally wasting your time and it irritates the pig.....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm just reading the thread on gardenweb now and am very happy that so many people jumped to TFP's defense. As a new pool owner I can say that the advice I've received from TFP has been invaluable and I am grateful for the time that people spend here helping others.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

7. Back To Top    #7

haha. I was reading reviews on some copper ionizers a while back out of curiosity and there was some guy trashing TFP on the reviews there. I was tempted to respond, but as said above, I didn't feel like teaching the pig to whistle.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

8. Back To Top    #8

If anyone wants some free entertainment:
    Trouble Free Pool forum - Beware
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    If anyone wants some free entertainment:
    Trouble Free Pool forum - Beware
    It's the same person who posted on GardeWeb
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Hehe, I remember her. She specifically tried hiding the fact she owns a company that sells UV systems. She straight up said that pools that only use chlorine are dangerous.

That was the first time I had a post removed by a mod, my response to her post was... well not incorrect but impolite. Might have brought up a term involving people on the internet who post things just to cause trouble.

Frankly if people like her didn't hate us I would feel like we aren't working hard enough. Her anger makes me happy
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Hehe, I remember her. She specifically tried hiding the fact she owns a company that sells UV systems. She straight up said that pools that only use chlorine are dangerous.

That was the first time I had a post removed by a mod, my response to her post was... well not incorrect but impolite. Might have brought up a term involving people on the internet who post things just to cause trouble.

Frankly if people like her didn't hate us I would feel like we aren't working hard enough. Her anger makes me happy
    There you go again.......

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post

Thanks for your support over there, but posting support for TFP over there is kind of like trying to teach a pig to whistle. You are generally wasting your time and it irritates the pig.....
    I just rolled on the floor laughing. Never heard that one before, hilarious!
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

13. Back To Top    #13

Well I just couldn't help myself. I had to try to teach the pig to whistle....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I love the comment about "TFP is a cult" !!

All Hail duraleigh !

Man, there are some serious chips on some shoulders over there .....

How about "we're not open minded" LOL, or that if anyone disagrees with our ways they are banned. Yup, that's why we have an "Agree to Disagree" forum.

Or the one about all the money TFP makes on chemical sales !

Man, that thread's a hoot, thanks for posting.

Dom
    Last edited by domct203; 06-29-2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

That was the first time I had a post removed by a mod, my response to her post was... well not incorrect but impolite.
    One of the reasons that we get shills like her off the forum early is she provokes otherwise perfectly good posters into being "impolite" and now we have dragged one of our good guys into the mix which never ends well. Donldson's response to her was just that. We just didn't get to her soon enough.

You'll probably see some more about us over there over time. These ax-grinders troll the internet hoping to find a place to bash us......they most all have been banned from here.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Good riddance to them, I like our 'cult' just the way it is

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

I found that thread a couple of months after I found TFP. It was older so I didn't bother to reply but I rolled my eyes a lot while reading it. It was pretty ridiculous the nonsense that was there.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post

I was kind! I didn't spank your hand or anything!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

I had no idea that thread was still going over there, had not looked in over a year. Petty humorous!

How dare us ask for tax deductible donations to upgrade servers and software as required due to the near exponential growth ... While keeping the forum completely ad free?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

"Man made chlorine is very bad for skin, hair, allergies. Salt is an alternative as well as ozone."

So i really don't need my SWG cell? Just dump in some salt and enjoy a chlorine free pool
    40000 liter in ground vinyl pool with SWG : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...he-Netherlands

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast