Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner; Any Advice?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner; Any Advice?

Hi, new pool owner here. I just recently got a Taylor K2006 test kit and I wanted to post my numbers to see if anyone had any advice. I have an SWG and a 9,400 gallon round above ground pool.

FC 10
    CC 1
    PH 7.4
    TA 120
    CYA 50
    Salt 3300 ppm

I didn't get the CH number yet. I recently just got done fighting algae so I know my FC is kind of high right now. The pool is still a little cloudy though.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner; Any Advice?

Good for you starting with a good test kit.

You're not done SLAMmimg as your CC is > 0.5 and your water isn't crystal clear. Bring your chlorine up to 16 and keep it there until your water is clear, your CC is < 0.5 and you can pass the overnight chlorine loss test. (See pool school).

Keep at it.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, good advice. SLAM the pool to finish off the algae. Then use this to get your water balanced, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs. I would go to 80 on CYA to help your SWG a little bit more. The sun is tough this summer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the Water Balance that pooldv posted do I need to bring my TA down? It says it needs to be around 60-80.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Don't worry about TA until the pool is TFP sparkly.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Agreed on waiting. With higher TA your PH will rise faster. Adding acid to lower PH will also lower your TA over time until TA and PH reach equilibrium or at least it takes a lot less acid to keep PH in check.

If you get tired of adding acid frequently you can actively lower TA following this process, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach