Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Large algae growth

1. Back To Top    #1

Large algae growth

I have an in ground pool that hasn't been opened in 2 years. I had someone out to look at it and they said that there was too much algae in the bottom of the pool to save the water. I'm wondering if I work dilightly at getting most of the algae out can I save the water and not have to drain?
    Inground Pool with vinyl surface
    ~30,000 gal
    Hayward pump
    Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide
    Greenville, SC

Re: Large algae growth

More than likely, yes; depends on what's in the water. Do you have one of the recommended test kits?
    35K gallon Krystle Krete (Plaster) - Sand Filter - TF100
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3
    Northern Howell, NJ

Re: Large algae growth

Check CYA level. You may have to drain (some, not all) based on that. Otherwise, you can most certainly conquer Algae by working diligently. It will be a process however. If it's truly that bad, probably makes sense to do a little of both (partial drain and hard work). Good luck.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?