Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evaporation or leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Evaporation or leak?

My pool seems to either have a leak or evaporation rates are going crazy right now. The weather in my area, Central PA.near Harrisburg, has been high 80s in the morning and low 60s at night and the humidity is all.l over the place. I put some water in my pool last night but probably about 75% of what I put in was gone this morning.

I have an in ground pool, 18500 gallons. I also have a solar cover but it doesn't quite cover my stairs.

Am I just being paranoid about a leak? I've had problems with evaporation before but this time seems different. Just looking for some reassurance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Evaporation or leak?

Do the bucket test. Info can be found on the site how to do it.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

If you are losing noticeable water level with a solar cover in place that points toward a leak. Solar covers do a good job of reducing evaporation.

More info on performing the bucket test here, Pool School - Leak Detection

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Im not too far south of you, and I do not cover my pool and lose very little to evaporation. Maybe an inch per week if that, the rain lately has made up for it easily.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

FWIW, Tom Skilling, local Chicago weather legend, stated that evaporation of 1.5 to 1.67 inches per week is very common this time of the year in Chicago area. Granted this was a little tidbit he threw out with any context or support, but if he said it there's truth to it.

The bucket test will show you if it a leak or not, but I have noticed a lot more evaporation lately so his statement stuck out to me.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

1/8"-1/4" is a pretty typical daily evaporation rate. With no cover.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I also forgot to mention, my pool is NOT typical. Because of the area I live, it is constantly in the sun. Like literally all day. There is no shade. Its probably in direct sunlight from 11am til about 6 or 7 pm. I'm sure this effects the evaporation rate too.