Introducing glo76

glo76

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Missouri City, TX
Hi all - I've been reading the forum for the past year or more, finally getting around to posting. So much good information here and it's been extremely valuable.

We built our pool a year ago shortly after we closed on our new house. It's my first pool, though my wife had one at her house growing up. As an engineer & project manager I got into a lot of detail with the design and build, and now I'm engrossed in learning the details of the equipment and pool chemistry.

We love our pool. We upgraded on a number of things and are really pleased with the results. I've attached some pictures from just after filling, since then our landscaping has now grown in nicely and it's looking even better.

This past year hasn't exactly been trouble free. My biggest issue has been getting our Rainbow chlorinator to consistently and reliably deliver chlorine. I've been using 3" trichlor tabs up to now for convenience as I was travelling a lot, but I'm about ready to junk the thing as I just seems like a poor design. My next project is likely to be installing a liquid chlorine solution.

Looking forward to engaging more with the folks on here and continuing my learning experience!

N008-small.jpgN009-small.jpg

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You'll be making a wise choice to step-away from the consistent use of the chlorine tabs. As Bo noted above, you'll see many discussions on this site about automated chlorination like a Liquidator, Stenner, or even a SWG. In the meantime, make sure to have your TF-100 on order (link below) so you can monitor your CYA and all other pertinent levels related to your water chemistry. Since each tab tends to increase CYA by about 7-9 ppm, they add-up very fast and can exceed your ideal management level. If you have any questions about this or anything else on the site, please don't hesitate to ask. Great to have you with us.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have the TF-100 and have been using it since the pool was built. Took me a while to get used to doing the various tests, finally got a SpeedStir which helped a lot, now I feel relatively fluent.

Have to say that my experience with the tabs has been ok. I check my CYA levels frequently and have seen as high as 70 but typically in the 40-50 range. It's been so wet here in the Houston area maybe the constant water replacement keeps the level in check :). Tabs also seem to be naturally balancing the pH rise of new plaster, so I haven't had to use a lot of MA. But longer term I want to avoid the problems hence looking at a liquid solution.

I've been doing a lot of reading on Stenner setups and I think that's the way I'm likely to go. Seems like a nice little DIY project to install it and get it hooked into my ET8. Just got a few questions (I always have questions) that I'll get around to posting soon.