Coping - square edge PA Bluestone vs bullnose paver

mmmkam

May 14, 2015
VA
We are in the process of building a rectangular 20x40 pool with a raised beam and looking at coping options. We are down to the above, but also putting in an auto-cover. It was recommended by the builder and cover star rep that bluestone be used on the walk-on lid to the auto over even if we go with pavers for the other 3 sides so our options at this point are 1) all bluestone or 2) bluestone on cover and paver on 3 sides.

Our main concerns were
1) sharper square edge on the bluestone (bull nosing it was costly)
2) temp of coping between the two options
3) looks of having paver on 3 sides abutting the bluestone on the lid (possibly bullnose since just one side)

Any thoughts, or recommendations?

Here's my previous PM reply to you for this thread...

MMM- Zero issues on the square edge. I did take a grinder to the top edge which I felt was a brilliant solution to the slight "sharpness" of the corner. They really are different looks (bullnose vs. square or chiseled). With a rectangular pool, the square edge fits better to me.

As for heat...it's HOT. Like too hot to stand on barefoot for 20 seconds yesterday at 3:00 pm to be specific. But there's a pool full of water to cool it off just inches away, or flip flops or a towel to sit on if you want to stay dry. You can easily walk on it going to the pool, you just won't want to delay jumping in much or you will feel it. It isn't much different than our concrete decking though. Our paver patio just up the hill is probably a bit less hot (I think due to the less dense nature of it). Mortared pavers, such as for coping, wouldn't have this issue, but pavers for a patio will certainly have the sanded joints topic (I'll stop short of saying sanded joint issue) to think of.

Best of luck with your build.

I'll add that we have an autocover and the bluestone does work great for the cover. I'd see no aesthetic issue having a cover of bluestone and a paver deck. I do recommend the Coverstar cover in Charcoal color because it blends nicely with the bluestone cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.