Newbie conversion question

btbt

Jun 29, 2016
Vancouver, WA
Hi. 5000 gallon above ground pool set up with Baquacil out of the box last summer. Want to switch to chlorine.

Completely drained pool for winter. It completely filled with rainwater this winter, and I drained it and it sat dry for a few weeks. Some silt, leaves and pink growth on liner.

Filled it about 5 inches deep and added some bleach and scrubbed the liner. Drained. Rinsed. Drained. Liner is sparkly clean.

Filling with water as I type.

Do I need to change the sand in my sand filter? (Actually that crushed recycled glass medium). Or can I just backwash it really well?

Anything else I might need to be aware of if I just set the pool up with chlorine this summer?

Thanks!

Do I need to change the sand in my sand filter? (Actually that crushed recycled glass medium). Or can I just backwash it really well?

The media likely has baquacil residue on it, and if it was sand, the TFP conversion process would be to change it. Not sure w/glass. In any case I would at least backwash it before using it to filter the pool water. Maybe doing it with shock level FC from the TFP FC/CYA chart. Be sure the b/w hose drains somewhere that wont be damaged from any baquacil conversion goo or high chlorine. You might want to wait for a moderator or expert to chime in with their advice. I converted my pool this year and then switched from sand to glass (which i am a fan of).

What's the definition of "backwash real well?" How will you know if you get all of it? When you backwash, it goes to waste. How much is fill water + Not knowing if your tank is BQ free vs. new medium + peace of mind? I'd go with the latter. You've made the conversion. No reason to cut corners now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.