Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie conversion question

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie conversion question

Hi. 5000 gallon above ground pool set up with Baquacil out of the box last summer. Want to switch to chlorine.

Completely drained pool for winter. It completely filled with rainwater this winter, and I drained it and it sat dry for a few weeks. Some silt, leaves and pink growth on liner.

Filled it about 5 inches deep and added some bleach and scrubbed the liner. Drained. Rinsed. Drained. Liner is sparkly clean.

Filling with water as I type.

Do I need to change the sand in my sand filter? (Actually that crushed recycled glass medium). Or can I just backwash it really well?

Anything else I might need to be aware of if I just set the pool up with chlorine this summer?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie conversion question

Backwash when your pressure rises 10% over clean psi. Not a fan of glass, but, let's see how it goes.

How are you testing that nice new water? Here is how WE do it with home testing:
    Pool School - Test Kits Compared

If you decide to use TFP methods and get a testkit, add a half a jug of regular, unscented bleach everyday u til your testkit arrives.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by btbt View Post

Do I need to change the sand in my sand filter? (Actually that crushed recycled glass medium). Or can I just backwash it really well?

The media likely has baquacil residue on it, and if it was sand, the TFP conversion process would be to change it. Not sure w/glass. In any case I would at least backwash it before using it to filter the pool water. Maybe doing it with shock level FC from the TFP FC/CYA chart. Be sure the b/w hose drains somewhere that wont be damaged from any baquacil conversion goo or high chlorine. You might want to wait for a moderator or expert to chime in with their advice. I converted my pool this year and then switched from sand to glass (which i am a fan of).
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, converted to TFP chlorine in 2016

4. Back To Top    #4

What's the definition of "backwash real well?" How will you know if you get all of it? When you backwash, it goes to waste. How much is fill water + Not knowing if your tank is BQ free vs. new medium + peace of mind? I'd go with the latter. You've made the conversion. No reason to cut corners now.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart