Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear to cloudy while swimming

1. Back To Top    #1
    Waxahachie, TX (south of Dallas)

Clear to cloudy while swimming

If the FC is in acceptable range, what causes the pool to go slightly cloudy after several people (or many) are swimming for awhile? Seven of us swam tonight and I thought I noticed a slight touch of cloudiness at the very end, whereas the pool had started crystal clear.

I tested when we were done and FC is at 8.5 (still coming down from my impromptu shock due to paranoia) and CC was 0. (CYA was added to target 80 a couple of days ago, but I haven't checked it yet.) If there is indeed some cloudiness from our time in the pool, do I do anything about it? Will it take care of itself if our FC is in range? I am running the pump overnight because I'm trying out a fountain we made in an attempt to drop the water temperature, but would I want to filter all night even without the fountain running?

I'm also asking because we are having a pool party on Sunday and I want to be prepared for the high bather load. I know to bump the FC up beforehand with bleach, and afterwards too, but I'm curious as to the causes of cloudiness forming while swimming (whether or not my pool actually got slightly cloudy tonight, which might be my continuing paranoia )

Thanks in advance for enlightening me!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Williamstown, NJ

Re: Clear to cloudy while swimming

This happened to me before... Seems like the added swimmers increases the bio-load. Also things like sunblock and such will cloud the water. Looks like your FC is correct range. I ran my filter overnight for two days and it eventually cleared up. The next time I knew I was going to have high load, I put the SWG on boost for the entire time and this prevented any cloudiness. Looks like you have the bigger version of my SWG. I'd say try it out next time once this clears. I'd give it a couple days with the filter running 24 hours to filter out anything in the water and back flush.
    22,000 gal Cardinal Oasis 36x18 IG Vinyl
    Pentair IC40 SWG Sand Filter 1 1/2Hp Superflo pump Single Speed 3450 RPM
    Build date 9/25/15
    Taylor K-2006 with Salinity
    City water for fill

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Clear to cloudy while swimming

Yes, it is fairly normal, skin oil, lotion and what not will temporarily cloud the water. Keep FC up above target a couple of PPM. Running the pump overnight will help too. On whatever your fave low rpm is, mine is 1100 rpm. It should be cleared by morning.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach