Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: T cell temp low chlorinator off

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy T cell temp low chlorinator off

Help. I have cleaned then replaced my T cell. I have replaced my transformer and rectifiers. I am getting a temp low 37 degrees in both cells. Chlorinator off. I go to diagnostic and restart chlorinator. Clicks then back to message off temp too low. It is 85-95 here right now. Air temp right pool temp right. Anybody have same problem.
    Julie. Alabama
    16,000 gallons Fiberglass installed winter 2007
    Goldline Aqua logic with remote T cell 15
    Pentair 2 hp pump and 3/4 hp cleaner pump
    pentair clean clear cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: T cell temp low chlorinator off

The AquaLogic has an air temperature sensor, a water temperature sensor that is in the plumbing and the cell also has a water temperature sensor.

Is the system saying the air temperature is 37 F, the water temperature is 37 F or the cell temperature is 37 F?

3. Back To Top    #3

Arrow Re: T cell temp low chlorinator off

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The AquaLogic has an air temperature sensor, a water temperature sensor that is in the plumbing and the cell also has a water temperature sensor.

Is the system saying the air temperature is 37 F, the water temperature is 37 F or the cell temperature is 37 F?
    Air temp 77 water temp 77. Cell temp 30 current reading.
    Julie. Alabama

4. Back To Top    #4

30 C is 86 F. Is it set to metric?

77 F is a default temp for a failed thermistor. Does that number change?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    30 C is 86 F. Is it set to metric?

77 F is a default temp for a failed thermistor. Does that number change?
    No it is set to F. Hence low temp chlorinator off. The swg is new but it is reading same as one I just replaced. Right now it is reading cell 43 F not running. Air 98f /water 94f.
    Julie. Alabama

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you think the relay could be bad. Does it use a relay for the swg or would it be the pcb board
    Julie. Alabama

7. Back To Top    #7

JamesW and others will know much more on the electronics and possibilities, but the below is from a ProLogic diagnostics manual manual. While waiting on other ideas it may be worth trying the reset just in case. I CAN confirm that when I last checked my cell to see if I needed to clean it I verified it was off, then unplugged it, but the controller was still on. I got low temp, low salt, AND high salt errors and the reset cleared them all.

2. If the controller is still powered, when unplugging the cell and then the cell is subsequently plugged
    back in, it may display a ‘Low Temp’ fault message and the ‘Check System’ light may still illuminate.
    Turn the filter pump on. You must reset the system by entering the ‘Diagnostic Menu’ and then hitting
    the right arrow key once and then pushing the plus key once. This should reset the light and message.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

[QUOTE=NeedMoreSun;1076817]JamesW and others will know much more on the electronics and possibilities, but the below is from a ProLogic diagnostics manual manual. While waiting on other ideas it may be worth trying the reset just in case. I CAN confirm that when I last checked my cell to see if I needed to clean it I verified it was off, then unplugged it, but the controller was still on. I got low temp, low salt, AND high salt errors and the reset cleared them all.

2. If the controller is still powered, when unplugging the cell and then the cell is subsequently plugged
    back in, it may display a ‘Low Temp’ fault message and the ‘Check System’ light may still illuminate.
    Turn the filter pump on. You must reset the system by entering the ‘Diagnostic Menu’ and then hitting
    the right arrow key once and then pushing the plus key once. This should reset the light and message.[/QUOTE

When you do this it counts Down from 15 and tries to come on them immediately turns off and says. Low temp chlorinator off. I cleaned it replaced with new swg and still Same error. I think with replacing the transformer and rectifiers. The only thing left is the relays or the pcb board.
    Julie. Alabama

9. Back To Top    #9

It’s not the relays. I think that the PCB has an error reading the ohms from the cell. The cell contains a thermistor.

If you need to check the thermistor, here is the plug map:

Holding the plug vertically with the cord going down and looking at the connection points. 1 is top left, 2 is top right, 3 is second down left and so on with 9 being lower left and 10 being lower right.

1) Black - Power to cell
    2) White - Power to cell
    3) Black - Power to cell
    4) White - Power to cell
    5) Brown - Not used
    6) Red - Goes to thermistor
    7) Orange - Not used
    8) Yellow - Not used
    9) Green - Not used
    10) Blue - Goes to thermistor

The display will show cold at 50 Fahrenheit which corresponds to a resistance of about 19,900 ohms. If you put your multimeter test leads on points 6 and 10, the resistance should correspond to the thermistor's temperature as shown in a 10 k thermistor chart.

50 f = 19,900 ohms
    60 f = 15,310 ohms
    70 f = 11,882 ohms
    77 f = 10,000 ohms (the 10k reference point)
    80 f = 9,297 ohms

Note that each 10 k thermistor has its own specific chart, so the numbers won't be exact unless you have the chart for the specific thermistor.

10. Back To Top    #10

Excellent info. Anyone who owns an Aqua Logic system should print out that post and hang onto it.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?