Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Dichlor lose its effectiveness?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does Dichlor lose its effectiveness?

So I had a beautiful pool for two months straight using bleach only, but it starting getting hot and I wanted to raise my CYA from 40 to 50.... With my Dichlor I had from two years ago. I suspected that when I added some two weeks ago (to give my CYA a slight bump) that it didn't seem to have any chlorinating effect.

I used 4.9 oz of Dichlor the last two nights . First night the chlorine was 1 ppm... Second night I don't know... There were storms and I just thought I would add 4.5 again.

Darn it, now pool is looking a little greenish, and I can sweep a little algae in the bottom corners!

Chlorine now is barely .5 ppm. Do I need to actually slam again, or can I just raise my chlorine to shock level (16 ppm)?

Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does Dichlor lose its effectiveness?

Yup, you need to SLAM because you let the FC stay way too low for too long. It should NEVER be allowed to get below the minimum for your CYA level.

You could have tested the FC level about 30-60 minutes after adding the Dichlor to see if it went up to what you expected.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've started the Slam process once this week, and then again last night. In both cases there was no overnight loss of chlorine (probably the course of 10 hours)

TA:10
    Fc: was 5 yesterday morning, brought it up to 20 last night
    Cya:50
    pH: 7.5

Any suggestions on clearing up water?
    Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!

4. Back To Top    #4

There are three criteria to passing a SLAM. Need to SLAM until all three pass, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach