Looking for Advice on a New Pool Build

cms22

Jun 28, 2016
Austin, TX
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to pools. My wife and kids (10-yr-old son and 5-yr old daughter) have been after me for quite a while to get a pool, so I'm rapidly approaching the point of no return on signing a contract for our first pool. We live in Austin, TX, and have been talking to a handful of PBs. We've honed in on the specs below, but given this will be our first pool, I'm sure that I'm making more than a handful of mistakes. I would love the forum's input on the design and specs, especially on (1) depth (we're not divers, but I'm nervous about going straight "sports pool" depths) robot vs. PV3 debate. (I love the idea of not having to drag the robot out of the pool, but if experiences with the PV3 have been hit and miss, I might just save the cash.)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Casey

Dimensions
23' x 35.6' free-form, 537 sq ft, 18,400 gallons
3.5' x 4.75' x 6ft depth
7' round raised spa
Decking: 992 sq

Equipment
Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo 2 VST
Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge
Heater: Pentair MasterTemp 400k - NG
Lighting: 3 Pentair GloBrite LED 12V for pool + 1 Pentair GloBrite 12V for spa
Blower: Silencer 1.0HP
Cleaner: Either KK Racer with booster OR Paramount PV3 infloor
Drain: 4 SDX
Purification: UltraUV system with inline chlor
Control: Pentair EasyTouch PS-8 with Screen Logic Bundle

Pool Details
Pebble Sheen Blue Surf
5' MagicFalls water feature (not entirely sold on this)

Decking
Tan salt finish concrete
Autumn Blend flagstone steps and coping

Attachments

• Design 1.jpg
    Design 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Design 2.jpg
    Design 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Design 3.jpg
    Design 3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 113
It looks like a gorgeous pool. Will you use the spa? Some love them, others barely use them. If you're looking for ways to cut costs down I would lose that, but that's just me.
I'd also lose the UV system as you live in Austin- plenty of UV free from the sun!! :sunny: Those systems are really more appropriate for indoor pools that don't get natural UV rays to help burn off CCs in the water.

Good call and avoid a sports pool- in your climate that shallow water will be like bath water in August. And deeper water is more fun for all really. Just make sure you specify to your builder if that 6' depth will be the actual water depth or the depth to the top of the pool? That makes 3.5 pretty shallow, IMO.

We've read how Austin PBs are hesitant to install salt water generators for some reason, but I'd never go without. Have you considered using a stenner chlorine injection pump instead of those pucks which will cause problems down the road?

Keep us posted on your build,please. We love pictures too :)

Yip :flower:

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

That is a great looking rendering depth is a personal thing I would go a bit deeper too but you will get just as many that say 6' is fine. Your shallow depth is good, many myself included go 3' and wish they had gone a bit deeper.

I would go robot most of the time it can live in the pool not a lot of back and forth needed. We have a pressure cleaner we just push to the side when it is just us and pull it out if we are having guests or on the weekends when we are in and out all day.

Dump the UV system not much love for them on the site, do some searching and you will see what I mean. If you want some automation go SWG aka salt water system or dosing system like a stenner pump. Most builders in TX do not like SWG systems they say it will damage the flag stone but many on the site have them and are just fine especially if the stone is sealed annually.

We like our sheer descent we thought we would use it on full with a curtain of water falling in the pool but find we like it better when we adjust it to trickle and splash over the stone on the wall. Full blast is great when we have a ton of kids in the pool, the white noise dampens the screaming and yelling.

Thanks much for the insight, Yip - all interesting points.

* On the spa, I hear you. That said, it's pretty much a must have for my wife and kids, who like to use it in the mornings / evenings.

* Had not thought about the impact on pool temperature. Also had not even thought about the depth being anything other than depth from the water surface, so I'll make sure the PB and I are talking about the same thing. I might even push the wife to go to 7'.

* Interesting feedback on the SWGs - in talking to neighbors who have sandstone-based flagstone coping, we've heard horror stories about the flagstone deteriorating quickly with SWG pools. I've heard theories about how the impact is worse in climates where rain is less frequent (TX / Arizona), but not sure how much truth there is to it. I am leery of having to replace or seal the coping annually if there is a better option. As you might expect, the pool designer described the UV option as a "set it and forget it" option, so I really appreciate the heads up on that issue. I am not familiar with the Stenner chlorine injection pump option - where does it fit into the spectrum of treatment options?

Once we get this show on the road, I'll definitely post pictures of the progress. Thanks again!

Thanks, atttech! Couple of quick follow-up questions:

* I've heard differing opinions on 1 vs. 2 robots. For the size of pool that we're looking at, do you think 1 robot will do the job effectively?

* On the SWG, I'll probably do some checking on the sealing option. If it's not too much of a hassle, I might consider going SWG, especially if it makes for easier maintenance. Out of curiosity, which treatment approach makes life easiest?

* Interesting feedback on the Sheer Descent - we've not seen one of these things in action, so it sounds like it might be worth checking out in person. The flexibility seems like it would definitely be a plus in terms of ambiance, though, relative to a plain sheer.

I have not seen any info about using 2 robots even if there are a few people doing it a pool your size should be more than fine with one. The robots have some logic built in and they learn the pool over time. The main benefit I see is the savings on your power bill robots are way more efficient than pump driven systems. The other thing they do that other cleaners don't is brush the pool win win.

Stenner systems consist of a storage tank filled with liquid chlorine, a peristaltic pump, a timer to control the pump and an injection point on the return side of the pool (the plumbing that goes to the jets just after the filter). They are often called Stenner systems especially on this site because Stenner makes a reliable pump that is easily serviced but there are at least a few others that will serve. Take a look at THIS for a quick description. If you use the search option on the forum and use the term Stenner or Stenner build you will find tons of results THIS is just one and THIS is a video on basic setup.

One of the main corner stones of this site is taking control of your pool, know what you are adding to the water and why. There is no such thing as set it and forget it, no matter what system you choose it will not work on it's own indefinitely. You must test your water often with a good quality kit and make adjustments to the water or systems that feed chemicals into the water based on the test results.

I did not go SWG I opted for Stenner and because I have concrete coping would not have needed to seal even had not gone Stenner.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Dump the UV system not much love for them on the site, do some searching and you will see what I mean. If you want some automation go SWG aka salt water system or dosing system like a stenner pump. Most builders in TX do not like SWG systems they say it will damage the flag stone but many on the site have them and are just fine especially if the stone is sealed annually.

This is correct. Let's just say 85% of people who buy pools go in wanting to understand nothing about a pool and want it to just work, those are the people who have problems. First thing they do is blame the pool builder and bash them to their friends and online. In my opinion, they are covering their behinds because of owner neglect/ pool builder misunderstanding.

Thanks much for the insight, Yip - all interesting points.

* On the spa, I hear you. That said, it's pretty much a must have for my wife and kids, who like to use it in the mornings / evenings.

* Had not thought about the impact on pool temperature. Also had not even thought about the depth being anything other than depth from the water surface, so I'll make sure the PB and I are talking about the same thing. I might even push the wife to go to 7'.

* Interesting feedback on the SWGs - in talking to neighbors who have sandstone-based flagstone coping, we've heard horror stories about the flagstone deteriorating quickly with SWG pools. I've heard theories about how the impact is worse in climates where rain is less frequent (TX / Arizona), but not sure how much truth there is to it. I am leery of having to replace or seal the coping annually if there is a better option. As you might expect, the pool designer described the UV option as a "set it and forget it" option, so I really appreciate the heads up on that issue. I am not familiar with the Stenner chlorine injection pump option - where does it fit into the spectrum of treatment options?

Once we get this show on the road, I'll definitely post pictures of the progress. Thanks again!

I am really starting to believe 2 things that could be happening:
1. Most common pool owners have no idea what they are doing and they leave salt water all over their decking, coping, and rocks.
2. Fear mongering from Pool Builders because UV companies are giving big kick backs.

Thankfully, I found this forum before I had someone talk me into a UV/Ozone system.

I am using OK Flagstone, Natural rock waterfall, and travertine decking in Dallas with a SWG.

I will be doing the following:
Using DuPont Salt Water Sealer - $140ish a gal. Roll on lightly on a sunny day where it won't rain for 3 days. Re-apply every 2 years.
After using my pool, I will take my hose and wash my deck down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.