NEED ADVICE: SuperFlo VS (342001) vs. IntelliFlo VS (011018).

May 24, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. Read a few different posts about the pumps mentioned but I am needing your "expert" advice on which pump I should get to replace my old 1.5hp Hayward pump. Here are a few of my stats and I've included some pictures for you. Bought the house a few years ago and the gentleman who owned the house before me installed all of the products himself.

Currently I have:
Hayward Super Pump
Emerson 1.5 hp motor
Triton II sand filter
1.5 inch piping (I have two separate pipes coming into the pump for skimmer and main drain, however, it appears that I only have one line out.)
(I also have a Superior Aqua ionizer hooked up to the wall but it is not in use. I've never used it since I've owned the house.)

Wanting to install a new pump and motor to save money on electric. (Last year electric and water ran over $600 in one month.) Trying to decide between SuperFlo VS 1.5hp(342001) vs. IntelliFlo VS 3hp(011018). One main concern is the 1.5" piping. Depending on who I talk to, some have said I can't install the IntelliFlo because it's setup for 2" piping. Or... if I did install the IntelliFlo I would need to completely re-tune the motor and make sure to adjust the max speed. I know the SuperFlo is already set-up for 1.5" piping, but I'm not sure of the effeciency difference. I would assume I would save more money with the IntelliFlo because of the higher horse power combined with the lower RPM. Thoughts????? And really, thanks in advance! I appreciate any recommendations and advice.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender[1] - Copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender[1] - Copy.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6968.jpg
    IMG_6968.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6967.jpg
    IMG_6967.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 78
Total lifetime cost depends on a couple of things.

1) Are you getting a power company rebate? If not, a two speed pump may have a lower lifetime cost than a VS.

2) What do you pay for electricity? If you have low rates, a two speed could end up saving you more money than a VS.

But between a SuperFlo VS and an Intelliflo VS, the SuperFlo will likely have a lower lifetime cost because of the lower up front cost.

Yes but the variable speed is all the rage now didn't you know. LOL. I went with the intelliflo because I wanted the options for variable speed and I'm very happy for that although it probably is a little more expensive. I will say I use more than 2 speeds though

1) Called my power company and they do not offer a rebate. Bummer
2) Electricity isn't too terribly expensive but my bill jumps up quite a bit in the summer months while running the pump.(and A/C) 2 speed could be an option, but haven't seen too many reviews about them. Any recommendations?

Leaning toward the SuperFlo. Called Pentair and spoke with two different techs. Both sounded like young guys and didn't really give me a clear explanation one way or another with using the IntelliFlo with 1.5" piping. Pretty disappointed in the company.

- - - Updated - - -

mgmoore7, do you have 1.5" piping?

1) Called my power company and they do not offer a rebate. Bummer
2) Electricity isn't too terribly expensive but my bill jumps up quite a bit in the summer months while running the pump.(and A/C) 2 speed could be an option, but haven't seen too many reviews about them. Any recommendations?

Leaning toward the SuperFlo. Called Pentair and spoke with two different techs. Both sounded like young guys and didn't really give me a clear explanation one way or another with using the IntelliFlo with 1.5" piping. Pretty disappointed in the company.

- - - Updated - - -

mgmoore7, do you have 1.5" piping?
I have 2 inch pipes

I would just swap out your current motor with a two speed motor. Save you quite a bit up front and it would save over 75% in energy costs.

BTW, do you have a timer or were you running the pump 24/7. That could be part of the problem.

Thought about that but my pool guy said he hadn't done a ton of 2-speed pumps and he thought that most required separate wiring for a switch to go back and forth. After some research I'm finding that wasn't necessarily true. Any recommendations for a 2-speed, or VS motor that would attach to the Hayward Super Pump?

mas985, I do not have a timer. Just me running out there every 8 hours or so and flipping it on and off! Hardly ever run it 24/7 unless I've just shocked the pool

Here is a VS you can attach to your pump's current we end: A.O. Smith 1.65 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor Round Flange - ECM16CU - INYOPools.com

But you will need surge protection or the motor may not last very long. True for all VS motors.

Or you want to go the two speed route: A.O. Smith Motor, 56j 1 1/2 Hp 2 Spd 230v (sts1152r) - INYOPools.com

You can ask for a switch in the back of the motor for the two speeds. Otherwise you could get a two speed timer.

The VS is not much more than the two speed and it comes with it's own timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.