Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ideas on electrical issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Ideas on electrical issue

Last week I turned off the breaker in order to power cycle my heater. That's the only way I've found to clear errors. After about 30 seconds, I turned the breaker back on and now I've got no power to any of my equipment (pumps, heater, blower, lights). The strange this is that when I turn on the switch for my pool light, I hear an electrical hum, but the light won't turn on.

The only thing I can think of is that I blew the relay switch. Is there anything that I'm missing? Am I out of my league and just need to call an electrician?
    18K galllon gunite pool, 1.5 HP Challenger pump, PB4 booster pump, Stayrite DE filter, Polaris 280 cleaner, in-ground hot tub with waterfall into pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ideas on electrical issue

We need a lot more information to help you. Breaker on House main or on a subpanel?

How is it set up. Picture of panel with breaker without cover.

How comfortable are you with electricity? Do you have a multimeter?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Sure, I feel pretty comfortable around electricity and do have a multimeter. I'm linking the pictures here. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k35f49bbs...9LbSFJ4_a?dl=0

Pic 1: wide view of all equipment. The breaker is pictured on the far left behind the heater. It is connected to the switch box and light switches on the far right.

Pic 2: breaker panel

Pic 3: switch box

Pic 4: relay switch

Pic 5: close up of switch box wiring

Pic 6: diagram of switch box
    Last edited by b0m8ad1l; 06-28-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: remove attached images
    18K galllon gunite pool, 1.5 HP Challenger pump, PB4 booster pump, Stayrite DE filter, Polaris 280 cleaner, in-ground hot tub with waterfall into pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

That sub panel may/will be fed from you main house panel. Start there to verify voltages. With the hum you say you are getting I would assume you are at least getting power to the sub panel. I would at least confirm voltage anyway. A hum could be a transformer or a relay, hopefully. It also could indicate a short. Exactly where do you hear the hum?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Definitely go back to the main panel and cycle that breaker and verify voltage on the output of that breaker and then at the input to the subpanel and so on further down the line. Also cycle all the breakers and test/reset any gfci devices in the system. Things that hum and don't turn on can often be a sign of under voltage. Another thing to check is to plug something into the service outlet at the pool and measure the voltage on the panel for a drop under load which would indicate a loose connection somewhere.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

6. Back To Top    #6

Both your sub panel and control box are miswired. Bothe have the neutral attached to the equipment grounding buss bar. That should only be done in a main service entrance panel.

I don't think that's your problem.

You have no power to the heater or plugs?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Correct, there is no power to the heater or the plugs. I will confirm the voltage at the sub panel and at the service outlet when I get home this evening. I could not find the breaker for it on my main panel, but I checked to make sure no breakers were tripped.

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, so I fixed the problem, but I'm still not sure what the problem was. On the advice of an electrician friend, I decided to replace the breaker. So I took the breaker out and into a hardware store to match it and replace it. That's when I learned that the "breaker" isn't a breaker. It's just a switch, made in the form of a breaker. I went home and popped the switch back into place and everything fired back up. Apparently it was just loose, or needed resetting.

Thanks for the help guys!

9. Back To Top    #9

That's your maintenance disconnect. Have your electrician friend come look at your two boxes. the neutrals in each are wired incorrectly.