Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help. Plastics soil overdig

1. Back To Top    #1

Help. Plastics soil overdig

I am putting in a liner kit pool 40x20 w an 8' hopper. and was told I need to overdig. I did and put 3/4 clean rock in. Problem is I can't keep gravel from falling down hopper so now I have no edge to set panels. What can I do. Help please. And thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help. Plastics soil overdig

Welcome to TFP

I wish we could help, Is this a DIY pool or is the company you hired doing it?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Diy. Hired excavator. Going to put piers in at every panel seam. Then pour collar and fill in under them.

4. Back To Top    #4

And thank you for the welcome. Been reading a lot from everybody.

5. Back To Top    #5

Post some pictures
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

Which pool kit did you order?

I've never seen a kit installed with piers, interested to learn about this method.

As for the hopper, here is a good article on what to put down as a base: Inground Vinyl Pool Floor Options | SPP Inground Pool Kit Blog

8. Back To Top    #8

Frankly I would add piers in the middle of each panel also. You may have to back fill after you place the panels and pour the collar.

Then you would place your Vvermiculite. Generally you want that over compacted undisturbed soil on the slopes of the hopper.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

Plastic soil fix.

I plan on forming up the void and doing a single pour with collar.

10. Back To Top    #10

Total of 14 yards including bond

11. Back To Top    #11

wow is all I can say

12. Back To Top    #12

Before

After

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    wow is all I can say
    I've said that and a lot worse during this project lol

14. Back To Top    #14

I felt bad about my pool situation until I seen this thread! I have the dig done as of July 4th. Two hopper walls were over dug some (about 4" a the top of one wall and about a foot at the bottom of the other). No kit as of yet. Unusually rainy this July. We have had 2 2" rains and a 3/4" and a few smaller rains. The 2 2" rains were fairly hard and fast which with the fresh dirt and being on a hill has made it a complete mess! It carved some pretty good ruts in the break and around the top of the hopper but after cleaning it up the 3rd time now I am feeling better! No rain for a while now . Hopefully I get my kit this week although my stairs are 1-2 weeks out .

I have to say you handled a really bad situation very well. Good Luck!
    Building Pool Now Just Finishing Plumbing of Equipment: 35K Gallons, L-Shaped, Steel Panel and Vinyl, Hayward Equipment including a 36" Sand Filter and EcoStar VS Pump.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by InDeep View Post
    I felt bad about my pool situation until I seen this thread! I have the dig done as of July 4th. Two hopper walls were over dug some (about 4" a the top of one wall and about a foot at the bottom of the other). No kit as of yet. Unusually rainy this July. We have had 2 2" rains and a 3/4" and a few smaller rains. The 2 2" rains were fairly hard and fast which with the fresh dirt and being on a hill has made it a complete mess! It carved some pretty good ruts in the break and around the top of the hopper but after cleaning it up the 3rd time now I am feeling better! No rain for a while now . Hopefully I get my kit this week although my stairs are 1-2 weeks out .

I have to say you handled a really bad situation very well. Good Luck!
    Thank you indeep. Broke ground almost a month ago and I had to re-dig a wall three times because of all the rain. Luckily it was the short wall in shallow end. A friend who did his own pool just told me how sorry he was for me and it should get easier. It's been bad enough that I got a card from my neighbor with a gift card to Buffalo Wild Wings saying May god bless you and I'm sorry for all the problems and take a break on me. Really nice of them.
    But I now have majority of wiring done and plumbing is almost done. Need to string line it today because I'm going to try and pool Crete tomorrow (100 degrees here tomorrow) one thing I know. It has 63 tons of gravel and 28 tons of concrete. It's not gonna blow away soon. Lol. Good luck with yours.

16. Back To Top    #16

Why the clean stone, I know it will drain better than the stone with fines but it would have held better? I am not trying to be negative, just wondering for my own knowledge? Best of luck to you.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok I was told by the professional digger ( I will say had I not needed to over dig his dig would have been spot on.). That I needed to over dig and place 3/4 clean to replace. My house is the same way but the only one in my neighborhood that had to overdig. So after all this I found out that the three hopper angles should have been dug a foot or two in leaving a much wider shelf. Then after I put gravel in and put up panels and poured bond then hand trim what needs to come off. I learned a lot from this "project"

18. Back To Top    #18

Pool Crete. Not easy for a 20 x 40. Did I mention it was a heat index of 111 yesterday and today?

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Kfkruse View Post

Pool Crete. Not easy for a 20 x 40. Did I mention it was a heat index of 111 yesterday and today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fence and I'm done!

20. Back To Top    #20

Wow.... Looks like you made the best out of that situation.... I've never seen or heard of such a thing. You surely know more about your own build than I do but typically an overdig in regards to a pool or foundation for that matter is the amount removed outside of structure. Basically room to work. For a pool its at least 2-1/2'. So in your case for a 20x40 pool l, the excavation with overdig would be at least 25x45. You did well with the situation but could that of been what the pool builder meant for your excavator to do? And not overdig the bottom.
    14x26 rectangle vinyl liner pool . 1.5 hp 2 speed tri star pump, 2 aqua genie skimmers , no main drain. 175 sq ft star clear cartridge filter. 200,000 btu hayward heater Tf-100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast