Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: trying to do a slam the right way

1. Back To Top    #1

trying to do a slam the right way

Ok so i had a swg it was too small for my pool and not making enough chlorine so im switching to traditional i needed to do a slam coz pool was green. I added stablizer to get my cya to 40 and have checked my ph 7.2 and ta 70 then started using bleach to get my shock up to 16 its been 3 days now and the water is blue but cloudy and when i got home from work i checked my chlorine and it has dropped to 1. Im going to the store to get more bleach and bring it back up to shock. Im just wondering am i doing this right? Because the stabilzer has all dissovled and i didnt think the chlorine would drop that fast however i am in central texas and its hot everyday here so any advice will be welcome thanks.
    16x32x52 rectangular vinyl above ground 15000gal
    2hp hayward proflow pump sandfilter
    Ph 7.2
    Ta 60
    Cya 40 FC 5. CC. .5. TC. 5.5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: trying to do a slam the right way

The best, fastest way to do a SLAM is to re-test and re-dose your chlorine level as often as possible. Even hourly at first would be great. Brush daily.

SLAM
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

You are doing it right .. at least by concept. Your pH is correct, CYA manageable, and you are targeting the correct SLAM FC level. Now it's just a matter of maintaining the FC level as much as you can throughout the day. That is key. If you leave the house for a while, it will drop, there's not much you can do about that. But the better the FC stays at 16 the better your SLAM will go. Don't forget to do all the other things listed on the SLAM page as well (link below). Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

How are you testing?
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

5. Back To Top    #5

You will lose a lot of FC while slamming. The FC is destroyed when it destroys the algae. Ive seen other slams loose as much as 10 in an hour.

Test as often as possble. The more to test and top off the FC, the more effective the slam will be and quicker it will go.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Well i know yall will kill me for this but my test kit is a walmart bought htc. I plan on getting a taylor tf 100 but i just started a new job and im waiting on a paycheck. I did see on walmart.com they had a taylor kit that was only 22 bucks does anyone think thats for real coz i didnt think walmart even carried taylor but it looked like it measured both total chlorine and free chlorine and i know i need that for sure to be able to tell exactly what my chlorine is holding at overnite any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Also i came home from work today and my chlorine had held throughout last nite and this whole day to be a 5 keep in mind i am using an inferior kit but this us the first day ive gotten home from work and it hadnt dropped all the way to 1 so i added more bleach to bring it back to shock the water is still clean looking but also still cloudy
    Ph 7.2
    Ta 60

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to have the FAS/DPD chlorine test for OCLT and SLAM.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

If you had to raise your CYA to 40 after it turned green what was it before that? I'm pretty sure that's the reason the SWG couldn't keep up too.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by donlumber View Post
    If you had to raise your CYA to 40 after it turned green what was it before that? I'm pretty sure that's the reason the SWG couldn't keep up too.
    Good point, donlumber
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

Well the swg was an intex with a max of 15000gal ive always had to shock it and add chlorine then after 3 yrs the cell crapped out and thts when it turned greem after joining here i figured out the swg was too small for the pool thts why im doing away with it
    Ph 7.2
    Ta 60