Illinois DIY Pool Build 2016

May 13, 2016
Rushville, IL
I've been peeking through some of the threads on this site for a while now.....My husband and I are in week 8 of our DIY Concrete block pool. I was looking for some advice on skimmers. How to correctly fit one? What is the best way to attach the skimmer??

I have looked at several wide mouth skimmers, I am finding that the depth of the skimmer is sometimes not included in the dimensions. Looking to gather some knowledge from you pool veterans out there!

Thank you - Brook

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 150
That picture looks familiar.
I used a Hayward SP10712SFVA. I installed two, in the top layer of block. I then added treated 2x6 on top of the top block layer around the entire pool, which I screwed my aluminum coping into. The depth of the skimmer mouth was perfect to fit on the 2nd layer (from the top) block, 6" depth. I think I had some 'foam' sill seal laying around, I lined the outside of the skimmer mouth with just to give it a snug fit, but once the 2x6 went on top, it wasn't going to move. It fit right between two blocks, about 16" if I remember right.

At first I wished it had a wider mouth, but now I am quite happy with it,, it has a taller opening so on the prolonged hot days you don't have to refill the pool as often.
I built a plywood housing behind the skimmer and filled it with concrete. Just make sure you support that gob of concrete, I drilled a couple pieces of rebar into the back of the wall (just above where the plumbing connecgts to the skimmer bottom) for the concrete to adhere to. I haven't had any problems with them. Seem to be of decent quality.

31jmo2s-3uL.jpg

dw9000,

Thank you for your information. I just want to clarify. You used this skimmer above ground, but built a concrete "house" around it?

Brook

Well the top 'lid' of the skimmer is even with my pool deck. They make an extension neck for that skimmer, I bought so I had a little more room when they poured the concrete deck. In hind site I really didn't need too.
The top 'of the throat' of the skimmer (that rectangular opening to the pool) was even with the top side of the top layer of block. I wrapped it in seal seal foam, for a tight fit.
I ran 2x6 around the entire top layer of block and that went right above the skimmer throat and it kept it in place very tightly. I suppose you could run your copping right over it and achieve something similarily if you weren't using 2x6, and when you finish the deck you could backfill with concrete/mortar from behind the top of the skimmer... I just remembered, I also anchored the skimmer into the concrete wall with some tapcons.

I did sort of like what duraleigh did in his skimmer pictures, I built a plywood structure on the outside of the pool wall and encrusted the entire skimmer (except the top 5" where the pool deck concrete would meet) in concrete,, took a couple 80lb bags. The structure wasn't anything fancy, I did it while I was backfilling with stone. I put 3 pieces of plywood up, and backfilled to keep it in place, then I poured in mixed concrete. I didn't backfill anymore that I had to, just to keep the plywood upright,, and when it dried I peeled the plywood out, and continued backfilling

Pic before deck (after backfill, skimmer's in place, and coping up)
https://s32.postimg.org/z61ldt3n9/100_0159.jpg

Pic after deck
https://s31.postimg.org/6cwa68mcr/IMG_1411.jpg
You can buy this skimmer, if you google it, for $70 or so. You could take a couple of your extra blocks (on the side) and see how it would fit, I think it would work for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.