St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Ok first a little history. I bought a house with pool. Never owned a pool before. Booster pump and main pump failed at first opening. Pool company did a bad job of selling me on a variable speed pump. They basically said that it was going to cost 1000 more and may save me some electricity. So I didn't buy the variable speed pump and I bought the single speed in my signature. Cost me $700. Now two months later I know that my electric company offers me a $500 rebate for installing a variable speed pump and after much research I see that they can save me up to 80%! So now I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade now and maybe repurpose the new single speed for the water feature where I'm sure the pump will fail soon. Couple questions..

1. If I program my single speed pump to only run for 4-5 hours per day, wouldn't this save me about the same amount of electricity? I currently run the pump 24/7 on recommendation of the pool company that installed it. Also if I do this is there any problem with priming I need to worry about with? Is it extra wear and tear on the pump starting and stopping every day? What about schedules. Any advantage to running it for an interval in the morning and then again at night vs all together?

2. I'm still having trouble understanding how a variable speed pump saves so much money. I get that if it's running at a lower speed then it is drawing less electricity, but isn't this at the expense of flow or are they just that much more efficient?

3. I've read that their big advantage is the ability to run at higher speeds for cleaners or waterfalls running at the same time, but I assume this advantage would be lost on my setup as there is a separate booster pump for the cleaner and another pump for the water feature.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome Nathan. You don't have to run your pump 24/7 because the pool store said so. Each pool pump/filter should be run on the pools needs. If 4 hours keeps your pool clean then 4 hours is all you need. If the pool needs 6 or 8 hours of run time, then that's what you should run. The only time 24/7 is implemented is when SLAM'ing the pool.

I'll let others answer the un answered questions I skipped.

Thanks for the help. I'm scheduling about 5 hours a day now on my single speed and so far so good. This has to dramatically decrease my bill. Not sure I will spring for a variable speed now. Even though it bothers me to not have the most energy efficient device at my house. I recently swapped out about 100 bulbs for LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing that your pump uses about 1000 watts. I run my 3hp VS pump at 1100 rpm to filter, skim and make chlorine and it uses 150 watts. I run it at 1950 rpm for my solar panels when solar heat is available and it uses 550 watts. And it will drive my waterfall more than enough at 1950 rpm with partial flow to pool returns and partial to the waterfall. They are are much more efficient.

Here is a great one for you
http://www.pentairpool.com/products/pumps-inground-superflo-vs-variable-speed-pump-464.htm
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

I'm guessing that your pump uses about 1000 watts. I run my 3hp VS pump at 1100 rpm to filter, skim and make chlorine and it uses 150 watts. I run it at 1950 rpm for my solar panels when solar heat is available and it uses 550 watts. And it will drive my waterfall more than enough at 1950 rpm with partial flow to pool returns and partial to the waterfall. They are are much more efficient.

Here is a great one for you
http://www.pentairpool.com/products/pumps-inground-superflo-vs-variable-speed-pump-464.htm
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

Thanks. So you only use one pump for cleaner,filter, and waterfall? Not sure how I would do that since I like the ability to remotely turn on my waterfall. Plus doesn't your cleaner run all the time then when it's hooked up? I have a dedicated cleaner pump and line. At lease that's how it was explained to me and I can turn it on and off separately just like the waterfall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.