New SWG and VS pump

Chriso

Jun 28, 2016
Center moriches
, I have a SWG and just bought an intellichlor generator and the Pentair Superflo VS pump. I'm overwhelmed with how to operate this. My pool guy told me to run it at low rpms (1400), but I did overnight and the flow light and low salt light were flashing red this morning. I am now running at 2000rpms and everything seems fine. Does chlorine get produced more at higher rpms? The pool store said to never run lower than 2400rpms, bc the pump isn't circulating water properly. This doesn't sound right to me. My main question is, how long should/could I be running the pump for to produce ideal free chlorine levels all while saving a good amount of money?

Nobody can tell you that magical answer, you need to test out all kinds of speeds and times. Every pool is different. Every pump is different.

The pool store is wrong, as usual. The SWG will make chlorine as long as flow is sufficient. Every pool is different on what the lowest rpm needed for sufficient flow is. You can keep dialing down the rpm until you get a low flow warning and then increase it 500rpm over that setting. The lowest flow needed to generate chlorine might be too low for good skimming however. I increase my rpm throughout the day for skimming but the majority of time I keep it on low flow. You have to experiment.

The salt level should not be effected by flow. You actually might not have enough salt. You can double check the salt level to make sure your SWG is not reading the salt level incorrectly.

I understand. Being New to the game, cab you give me a sample schedule? Is it detrimental to the SWG to being run with insufficient flow @1400rpms where it won't produce chlorine? I am currently running the pump 12 hrs, 8am to 12pm @2200 rpms; 12-3 @ 3000 rpms; 3-8 @2200rpms.

I understand. Being New to the game, cab you give me a sample schedule? Is it detrimental to the SWG to being run with insufficient flow @1400rpms where it won't produce chlorine? I am currently running the pump 12 hrs, 8am to 12pm @2200 rpms; 12-3 @ 3000 rpms; 3-8 @2200rpms.
Every pool is so different that I wouldn't even know where to start. I also don't know how much debris you get and how clean you want your pool to look. I also don't know how big your pool is and how balanced it is right now. Do you have a test kit yet? Nothing can be recommended without proper self testing. If you haven't bought one yet, I highly highly recommend purchasing a TF 100 test kit with a speed stir. But, off hand, you almost definitely don't need to be running your VSP at such high RPMs so often.

Find the RPM where your SWG gives a low flow error and then run it a couple of hundred rpm more for 8 or so hours per day. There is no reason to run the pump at 1400 and not produce chlorine. There is usually no reason to run it at a higher RPM than 1600 or 1800 used to produce chlorine with the SWG unless you are running a pressure cleaner.

Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

We can give you a sample schedule, but it really does vary considerably. One member with a Pentair VS *literally* runs it 24/7 at 700 RPM. The important characteristic is to measure how long it takes to turn your pool and how many turns per day you are targeting... that should give you the correct run time for sanitation. You can adjust the SWG to maintain your determined CL level, given the CYA within your pool.

It's math, not art... yet every one is different.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You just have to find which flow rate is enough to triggger the SWCG flow switch. I have the intellichlor and intelliflow VF. With a clean filter I can run at 1500 RPM (about 15GPM). when the filter gets a bit dirty I sometimes have to increase my flow to 18-20 GPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.