Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New SWG and VS pump

1. Back To Top    #1

New SWG and VS pump

, I have a SWG and just bought an intellichlor generator and the Pentair Superflo VS pump. I'm overwhelmed with how to operate this. My pool guy told me to run it at low rpms (1400), but I did overnight and the flow light and low salt light were flashing red this morning. I am now running at 2000rpms and everything seems fine. Does chlorine get produced more at higher rpms? The pool store said to never run lower than 2400rpms, bc the pump isn't circulating water properly. This doesn't sound right to me. My main question is, how long should/could I be running the pump for to produce ideal free chlorine levels all while saving a good amount of money?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New SWG and VS pump

Nobody can tell you that magical answer, you need to test out all kinds of speeds and times. Every pool is different. Every pump is different.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool store is wrong, as usual. The SWG will make chlorine as long as flow is sufficient. Every pool is different on what the lowest rpm needed for sufficient flow is. You can keep dialing down the rpm until you get a low flow warning and then increase it 500rpm over that setting. The lowest flow needed to generate chlorine might be too low for good skimming however. I increase my rpm throughout the day for skimming but the majority of time I keep it on low flow. You have to experiment.

The salt level should not be effected by flow. You actually might not have enough salt. You can double check the salt level to make sure your SWG is not reading the salt level incorrectly.
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

I understand. Being New to the game, cab you give me a sample schedule? Is it detrimental to the SWG to being run with insufficient flow @1400rpms where it won't produce chlorine? I am currently running the pump 12 hrs, 8am to 12pm @2200 rpms; 12-3 @ 3000 rpms; 3-8 @2200rpms.

5. Back To Top    #5

The Pool Store is wrong I have a Pentair variable speed and intellichlor and I generate chlorine at 1200 RPM
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
    I understand. Being New to the game, cab you give me a sample schedule? Is it detrimental to the SWG to being run with insufficient flow @1400rpms where it won't produce chlorine? I am currently running the pump 12 hrs, 8am to 12pm @2200 rpms; 12-3 @ 3000 rpms; 3-8 @2200rpms.
    Every pool is so different that I wouldn't even know where to start. I also don't know how much debris you get and how clean you want your pool to look. I also don't know how big your pool is and how balanced it is right now. Do you have a test kit yet? Nothing can be recommended without proper self testing. If you haven't bought one yet, I highly highly recommend purchasing a TF 100 test kit with a speed stir. But, off hand, you almost definitely don't need to be running your VSP at such high RPMs so often.
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

Find the RPM where your SWG gives a low flow error and then run it a couple of hundred rpm more for 8 or so hours per day. There is no reason to run the pump at 1400 and not produce chlorine. There is usually no reason to run it at a higher RPM than 1600 or 1800 used to produce chlorine with the SWG unless you are running a pressure cleaner.

Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

@pooldy: great info. Would you run the pump for 24 hrs?

9. Back To Top    #9

We can give you a sample schedule, but it really does vary considerably. One member with a Pentair VS *literally* runs it 24/7 at 700 RPM. The important characteristic is to measure how long it takes to turn your pool and how many turns per day you are targeting... that should give you the correct run time for sanitation. You can adjust the SWG to maintain your determined CL level, given the CYA within your pool.

It's math, not art... yet every one is different.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

10. Back To Top    #10

For what I am running (rpms & time) My filter is filtering 43,000 gallons give or take..My pool is 25,000 gallons. I appreciate everyone's help.

11. Back To Top    #11

@pooldy: great info. Would you run the pump for 24 hrs?
    no, I would start at 8 or 10 hours.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

You just have to find which flow rate is enough to triggger the SWCG flow switch. I have the intellichlor and intelliflow VF. With a clean filter I can run at 1500 RPM (about 15GPM). when the filter gets a bit dirty I sometimes have to increase my flow to 18-20 GPM.
    " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.