Drain Plug stripped

Philo

Oct 8, 2015
San Diego, Ca.
My neighbor has a filter pump that has drain plug in the bottom of the housing. It has a slow drip. When I try to tighten it, it gets sort of snug then breaks free and needs another full turn, breaks free and over and over again.

I'm sure he'll never used the drain plug. I'm thinking to get some "Crazy Glue" gel, put it on the threads and pray.

What do you think?

The o-ring is there.
Thanks

Get another one and double then up. The threads are "popping" past the last thread, hence what you are describing. By doubling up the o-rings, it will snug up before the plug "breaks free". Also get some Magic Lube. Like this:

71Qp3TVsbLL._SL1500_.jpg

or if you have a Leslie's by you, the exact same product repackaged with their name on it:

lpm-68926-600-011.jpg

I'd start with the easiest, and cheapest solution. Try the Teflon tape. And even though the o-ring is still in place, check it for cracks or dry rot. A new o-ring and some tape may do the trick...if not, your only out a few cents and a little time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.