Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain Plug stripped

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain Plug stripped

My neighbor has a filter pump that has drain plug in the bottom of the housing. It has a slow drip. When I try to tighten it, it gets sort of snug then breaks free and needs another full turn, breaks free and over and over again.

I'm sure he'll never used the drain plug. I'm thinking to get some "Crazy Glue" gel, put it on the threads and pray.

What do you think?
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain Plug stripped

Does it have an o-ring? If not, try putting one on before super gluing it...
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

3. Back To Top    #3

You can generally buy new plugs if it's the plug that is stripped.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    Does it have an o-ring? If not, try putting one on before super gluing it...
    The o-ring is there.
    Thanks
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Whether or not I used it, I'd be pretty angry if my neighbor who was watching my pool glued anything shut.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    The o-ring is there.
    Thanks
    Get another one and double then up. The threads are "popping" past the last thread, hence what you are describing. By doubling up the o-rings, it will snug up before the plug "breaks free". Also get some Magic Lube. Like this:

or if you have a Leslie's by you, the exact same product repackaged with their name on it:

25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

7. Back To Top    #7

You could also wrap with teflon tape. I think it's often not recommended on plastic, but the pool company appears to have used it when servicing the previous owner with no bad effects. It may tighten up the threads just enough....
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

8. Back To Top    #8

It seems like the threads are "fine grade" and because they are plastic hey collapse on themselves.

9. Back To Top    #9

If the threads on the plug are stripped, replace the plug. If it's on the pump, you could fill the hole with PC-11 Marine epoxy. Then drill and re-tap the hole.

PC-11: https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-T.../dp/B008H4QRPI
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd start with the easiest, and cheapest solution. Try the Teflon tape. And even though the o-ring is still in place, check it for cracks or dry rot. A new o-ring and some tape may do the trick...if not, your only out a few cents and a little time.

16 x 36 IG Vinyl, 20,000 gal, chlorine, built 2001
    Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter S210T
    All in with TFP , testing with tf-100