Skimmer Making a Gulping Noise

Mar 30, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Two days ago, I noticed that my skimmer was making a kind of gulping noise. I would take in water and then it would sort of swirl it all down an gulp it to the bottom and then flip up again and gulp it all down again. Meanwhile, the pump will not totally fill up with water (I can see it's struggling to get water in, but is near the top). Meanwhile, the pressure gauge on my cartridge filter is kind of fluctuating under 10. Not sure if any of this info is helpful, but this is what I'm seeing. Anyway. I decide to put a little more water in the pool thinking that maybe the water level had gotten a little low and that's why that was happening. And eventually, the problem stop. So either is was the water level or the pump finally caught on.

Today, I turned off the pump to clean everything out (skimmer basket, pump basket, cartridge) and when I restarted the same thing happened. Skimmer is making the same gulping noise. Could it really be the water level? Should I keep it higher. To be, it looks like about halfway up the skimmer (maybe about a 1/4" lower). Is it better to keep it higher to avoid this? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Normally there is a mark on the skimmer to indicate the correct water level. Is this happening when your pump is running on high speed?

I don't see a mark on the skimmer, but I'll check my manual again and see if I'm missing something. Yes, it is happening when the pump is running on high speed. There's nothing jammed in the flapper door, but the door is not operating as it should. It's not floating. It's getting sucked down towards the skimmer basket during the gulp and then pops back up again and gets sucked down again and on and on. The gulping issues stopped when I removed the flapper door entirely. I also put the hose in and refilled the pool level just a bit and everything is running fine, so maybe the slightly lower water level was the issue after all? I wonder if I'm just losing a bunch of water as I clean the filter?

sounds like you just had a low water level.

the mid marking on the skimmer opening is OFTEN (but not always) correct....I found my skimmer was installed a bit lower than usual for some reason, though
it is flush with the deck where the lid is. Some other folks have had that as well.

Mine will vortex and gulp if the water line is at the marking...anything slightly higher than that and it works properly.

The weir is freely movable and works correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.