Pool seems to have small tollerance for water level changes before skimmer goes dry

Hi all (the fun never ends!)

This year has been really hot and I've noticed that I've had to refill more than usual. I don't suspect a leak as some days there is no level change while others an inch or more of loss between checks (24-48 hrs). Pump runs on a 24hr/day (on a timer for different speeds throughout the day) but will periodically re-prime between settings/timers.

What I've found is over the 10 years of the pool (I've owned it for 4), the optimal water level has etched itself on the skimmer face plate (white line whereas rest has turned yellow). My issue is if the water level drops about 1.25-2" from that optimal level, when my pump primes, it sucks the skimmer dry. Is this a normal level of water level tolerance? The line is about 3/4 up the face plate (if that helps with an idea of how full it needs to be).

In my googling, I found what I think to be my actual skimmer (Hayward SP1080 - https://www.hayward-pool.ca/pdf/manuals/Series-Auto-Skim-SP1080-1082.pdf). I noticed it talks about only having 1 suction line while the other 'hole' is used for a 'equalizer line'. Mine was plumbed with both as suction lines. My neighbour's is the same way (same pool builder).

Could the whole issue be that I have 2 1.5" suction lines from my skimmer? Do I just close 1 of my valves at the pump and plug the hole in the skimmer?

Thanks!

See the illustrations on page 4 of the manual you attached. It shows the pool waster level, which I believe is marked with a notch on the part of the faceplate perpendicular to the front plate. I noticed if mine gets much below that notch, the pump will have trouble priming.

I'll see if such a marking exists inside the skimmer tonight when home. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just never realized that it could be so "touchy". I would have expected more tolerance or wiggle room. Guess I just keep it higher in case i'm lazy and don't fill for a day or 3 :)

Pump runs on a 24hr/day (on a timer for different speeds throughout the day) but will periodically re-prime between settings/timers.
Why is it repriming and what speed did you set for priming? Once a pump primes, it should never lose prime unless you have an air leak or open the pump lid.

The Hayward SP3200VSP is a pretty big pump so at priming/full speed, it could very well suck a skimmer dry. You may just need to back off the priming speed a little to give you a bit more flexibility on the skimmer level. 3000 RPM should be more than enough for priming.

I guess I miss spoke. I've caught it running it's priming mode when switching timers, but not always. Priming is 2 mins at full speed (3450 I think). I never saw it empty of water first. Guess maybe I should drop that?

I programmed it for 3 speeds 7am-7pm 1000rpm, 7pm-9:30pm 2500 rpm and 9:30pm-7am 1500rpm. I found over time air comes into the pump and builds to just to the top of the strainer basket. Only way to resolve that was to run at higher speed for 10-3mins or full speed for 2 mins manually. I think this is because my 3 suction lines are all 1.5" but the collect into (think it is called the manifold) and stays at 1.5" until right at the pump with a 1.5 to 2" adapter. Not sure if that is proper or not. I would have thought the manifold should have been 2" after the first suction link meets the 2nd. Can post a pick if that's not clear.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.