Pool Pump Sizing

gctnj

Jun 28, 2016
Wayne, NJ
A question asked a thousand times, I am sure. My Pentair 1.5 HP Challenger pump motor just failed. I've replaced the motor twice and the pump is quite old, so I am looking at another pump. My pool is 26,000 gallons, 1.5 inch piping, 1 skimmer, 1 drain, 2 returns, a Nature II and chlorinator in line The DE filter and pump are about 40 feet from the pool. The DE filter is large with a max flow of 125 GPM. I am looking at either a Hayward Super II or Hayward Super Pump at either 1 or 1.5 HP. With the Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP, I had to run the filter 8-9 hours to keep it clean. Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for welcome. Read the Pool School posting instructions. My signature should be up to date.

When I run less than 8-9 hours regularly, the pool would get cloudy. Could be the fact that the pool has only 1 skimmer and the main drain doesn't seem to pull that well. It is an older pool.

A cloudy pool generally means that you did not have enough fc or that there was an algae bloom started. That has nothing to do with your pump and filter. Pool school has a lot of articles on the fc cya relationship so you might start with that.

As for a new pump, as long as the pump is not running a spa, almost any small pump will do. Have you thought about a two speed pump?

Update: Was researching two speed and variable speed pumps. In the meantime, I was running the old pump two hours at a time by turning the shaft to start it and turning it off after two hours to stop it from overheating. I had ordered some parts so I could use it as a backup after I installed the new pump. One part came very quickly, a run capacitor, $8. In fact it came right as I was about to order the new pump. I installed the run capacitor and it is working and not overheating. Not sure if this really fixed the problem or the new capacitor will burn out because the pump has another issue. At least it got me past July 4th. If and when I order a new pump I will post back again. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.