Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Julian Dates

1. Back To Top    #1

Julian Dates

How about putting the Julian date at the top of the home page for easy reference when we are out shopping for chlorine? Something like: "Today is June 28, 2016 16 180".
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Julian Dates

If you know your 3 times table to 12 it's easy. Just drop the last digit and divide by 3. Your answer is the month in numerical form, (round up if you are past the next 10th decimal) to get the current month you are in.

i.e. 180 would be 18 / 3 = 6 (June)

250 would be 25 / 3 ~ 8.xx (August + 1 = Sept)

You answer will be accurate within ~ 2 weeks.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't have trouble figuring out the date myself, but had just read through a thread where someone didn't know. Just a suggestion!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

Jesse THANKS for the suggestion! I, too, see people asking about it all of the time. I will pass this idea onto our IT department.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

While the suggestion to place a Julian calendar on the site is good, I would think that putting a calendar of any type on the site might tie up server resources to some degree. An option might be to consider adding a static page (maybe linked to Pool School??) showing a table with Julian dates.

Here's one example: Julian Day Calendar
    And here's something similar (a zip file containing a Word document): Julian Day Calendar.zip
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

6. Back To Top    #6

I can't imagine it would tie up much resources but I also have zero experience with a forum of this size. I was thinking since there is a date/time stamp on every single post, to have just a date stamp at the top of the homepage would be nice. As I mentioned, I have no problem figuring out the Julian date but others on here do. I suppose a link to a calendar showing the date would work fine too. Just some thoughts!