Need advice due to Builder error on raised spa height what should I do?

Jun 28, 2016
Yucaipa
Hello all. I really enjoy the forum and have been reading posts off and on now for about a year. I am currently building my second inground gunite freeform pool and spa. The contract called for a 18" raised spa (sit and spin) with cascade spillway (stone veneer). After the gunite was complete I noticed that the spa is only 10" above grade. I pointed this out to the builder (afterwards) who was not onsite during the gunite process. His proposal was to add a few inches to the back of the spa with a small cascade into the spa that would also have stone veneer. Although I appreciate his offer, 1. I have no idea if this will cost me extra, 2. I am not sure I will even like that option as it will make the spa look semi incomplete as the rest of spa will be lower. In order for him to do it again, it would detail demo of some of the shotcrete to raise the plumbing 8". They would also have to add more 8" shotcrete to floor and bench area of spa. I am not really happy with the height of the spa because it takes away from a "sit & spin" and bench sitting area, not to mention I lose some stone veneer for aesthetic purposes. I am concerned if I have him redo the spa area, it would jeopardize the integrity of the existing shotcrete and be too much work. I am seeking advice on a solution to the builder mistake. I have not ruled out alternatives including asking for upgrades such as pebble fina or other hardscape upgrades and learn to live with the lower height (just not sure if upgrades would be an option). Thank you for the help, Eric.

Ask about the upgrades as an off set to their mistake. The answer is always no unless you ask. If the answer is still no, make him re do it. You're paying for the pool of your dreams. Make sure you get it.

I don't think I would give up quite yet I'm getting the Builder to redo all of it so that it is the way you want it. There are many companies that will completely redo everything in a reconstruction or a refurbished this should be able to work it that way possibly

How clear is your contract? Is there a drawing with specification that the spa is supposed to be 18" above grade? What exactly do the plans show?

How long between rebar and shotcrete?

When did you first mention the problem to the builder. Have you been on site during the rebar and shotcrete process?

What is the payment schedule? When is the next payment due.

How much do you want this?

You don't need to answer the questions above, they are just things to think about. If the plans are not very clear, you may not really have an argument. Pool plans are often not clear.

You have a duty as the owner to inspect and tell the contractor about a problem as soon as you spot it (assuming you are capable of spotting it). Did you do that? Have you made your complaint by email or in writing?

A spa wall is not a critical issue in a pool. They can chip down and extend the rebar cage up while moving some jets up. You just want to make sure they connect the upper rebar to the lower rebar or significantly embed the rebar in the lower portion of the spa.

Thanks for the reply. It states in the contract that the spa is 18" above grade. I was here on the day of the shotcrete and contacted the builder immediately via text. He stated that the plans he gave the sub was incorrect on the spa height. He has offered to fix or give me a wall on part of the spa with a cascade into the spa (not sure I would like the looks of that), however I don't know if I want to go through the demo process and have them raise everything in the spa. Do you think I could ask him to credit on other things such as upgrade from plaster to pebble fina, hardscapes, equipment??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.