Is FC too high to swim?

Jul 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I first want to thank you very much for this website. It has been an invaluable tool for us and with the recommended pool chemistry kit we buy, we have had absolutely zero issues with our pool since start up. I haven't been on here in a very long time and I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere already but I am pretty desperate to find an answer asap. My question is, how high FC is too high to swim in? We are hosting swimming lessons this week and my husband accidentally put too much chlorine in the last couple of days and the FC is now at 12. We have never had it this high as usually we keep it balanced. Is 12 ok for kids to swim in??

Thanks in advance!

At 40 I believe you are safe to swim up to FC 16

Which if you are hosting lessons and will have a higher bather load 12 should do nicely. I always like to boost it a smidge when I have extra folks in the pool, because it just gives me peace of mind to know that everything they walk in there with on their body along with sunscreen and additional products is being taken care of.

Have fun!

Ok great! That's a good point DKT113. There will definitely be more bodies in there this week.
I'd better do a refresher course here I think just in case. Thanks for the link Kyle.
Thanks all for the quick replies :)

For what we have here on the weekend I kick it up a smidge, yours is up quite a bit but still in the safe zone so you can let it drift a bit. Morning of first swim lessons test and get your numbers, at the conclusion of lessons, when the pool empties test again and see how much was used day one. If it pulled you out of target range, top back up in the evening, and keep that with you for the morning. Boost it up a smidge to account for the usage from the data the day before. Ideally you want to make sure with the increase in bather load you don't drop your FC below 3, I would say 4 just to be safe. This is because your CYA is 40 and 3 is the minimum level for your FC/ Free Chlorine. That 3 FC is very important because it needs every bit of those 3 to keep the water sanitized.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.