Hello from PA!

Jun 26, 2016
Coatesville, PA
Hello everyone,

I'm Kurtis from Valley Township PA. We purchased our first house in Aug 2015 and the previous owner left a dilapidated above ground ~25' pool with a wooden deck around it. My wife :queen: immediately purchased a replacement pool that fall with the intentions of me installing it in the spring. Well, the pool that she bought was not identical to the original so the install was not smooth and now I need to replace all the deck boards so they line up with the pool. :rant:

Anyway... I was able to install the pool and get everything up and running with her father. Putting that wall up with 2 people was interesting. The sand floor was not as smooth as I would have liked and we also ended up with a bunch of folds/creases in the liner floor :mad:. But, it's holding water. We're running a 1.5HP pump with a sand filter. Seems to run at about 15psi, is that good? I am very uninformed when it comes to pools, so I am constantly afraid I am doing something wrong.

I am in the process of adding lots and lots of CYA to the pool as it is in direct sunlight. I used the TF-100 and a pool calculator to get my measurements. I have so much that I want/need to change about my current setup. We were left with a lot of issues from the previous owner so it's a constant game of catch up. I know I am going to have a lot of questions, most of which will be very noobish. Looking forward to the support from TFP!

Here are some pics for ya.

Welcome fellow Pennsylvanian! Looks like you did a great job! Kudos to you for starting out with a great test kit, too!

As for the Psi, your "clean" Psi is the reading after you've back washed and rinsed. When the pressure rises 25% over the clean pressure! it's time for a backwash.

Welcome to TFP!

I used the TF-100 and a pool calculator to get my measurements.
Congrats! You are way ahead of the game.

We're running a 1.5HP pump with a sand filter. Seems to run at about 15psi, is that good?
That's about what mine runs when the filter has just been backwashed. The psi will vary depending on your pool and equipment.

I am in the process of adding lots and lots of CYA to the pool as it is in direct sunlight.
Just be careful when adding CYA. Some is good but too much can be problematic. It is better to add a little less than you think you need. After about 5-7 days of adding the CYA, test the level and add more if needed. It is much easier to add more than it is to reduce it if you overshoot.

If you haven't already, I would read this article: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. This boils everything you need to know about managing pool water chemistry down to one page.

Hey-yo! Great community!

So, in my noobish state, I didn't know I needed CYA at first and pretty much wasted a lot of chlorine. So my calculations called for 3.8lbs of CYA. I am in the process of dissolving that amount via panty hose in front of my return. Due to all the rain I think the pool is a tad full so I will need to... Backwash, waste? What's the proper method? I feel so dumb lol.

I plan to let the pool circulate for a few days before testing CYA again and then once it is good I'll add more chlorine. Is that OK?

So once the pressure is at about 20psi I should backwash? Under normal circumstances that is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You can add chlorine at any time. We advise regular testing with a recommended test kit. Using the CTA/FC chart, you dose according to your targeted CYA level. You don't want it to fall below the minimum.
Don't feel dumb, we were all moons at some point! Just read and reread pool school a few times to get a good understanding of the whole process. (I'm guessing you already some have due to your understanding about the CYA!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support