Above ground pool from heck

Jun 27, 2016
Georgia
I've had a 15'x4' summer escapes ago for 3 summers. First summer, used and tried to maintain using tons of store bought chemicals, second year, it just sat with no care. This summer I decided to clean it and try to learn how to properly care for it. After set up I patched a hole I found, bought an intex 2500 to replace the summer escapes pump, and filled. Started filling and dosing with bleach. Everything was great then the output hose ruptured, draining about 8"-12" of water. I ordered a replacement. Went out yesterday to find the pool half empty. Another hole!! I plan to patch it today. Now that's my story and here's my question.

I plan to patch and refill, how much bleach should I use to maintain the water until my filter hoses get here? I'm using the method in the link, but am kinda lost on a daily dosing regiment.
Super-simple pool chemistry recipe for Intex type pools: start-up routine care..

Thanks for any help.

You will need stabilizer in the water / CYA / Cyanuric Acid ~ it's all the same stuff. Just make sure you obtain the product that is 100% so you aren't adding anything else.

I don't believe you want to introduce bleach / liquid chlorine into the water without the product above. A small amount may be fine as you wait for your hoses and if it were me I would drizzle a small amount in and circulate it by hand (meaning use the pole and brush to move the water around a bit after I have poured a tiny bit in so that it disperses). Without the CYA the sun and organics will "eat up" the bleach. Think of the CYA as the bleach's sunscreen. Just like a human in the sun we use sunscreen to be out in it and do what we need to do without burning up. Liquid Chlorine/ Bleach is the same, it's needs CYA to do what it needs to do and not burn up.

Granular I put in my daughter's old tights and dangle in front of the return. A tube sock / nylon would work as well. It takes a day or so to register once it has dissolved in the water. They also sell it in liquid form, when it is introduced in liquid form, I do believe after about half an hour you are able to test and get an accurate reading.

Hi, welcome to TFP! I would pour 2 cups of bleach in there per day and use the pool net to mix the water until you are able to run the pump again. Use PoolMath to determine how much of each chemical you need once the pump is up and running again.

We have found any pool that is large enough to require a pump and filter needs a full test kit and not just pH and FC. Visit TF Testkits and check out the TF 50 or the TF 100. They are the same tests, the TF 50 is a smaller version of the TF 100. When stored in a climate controlled environment, the test reagents will be effective for several pool seasons. If you ever slip up and find yourself with a green pool you will have everything you need to complete the the slam process and get the pool clear again.

That seems pretty easy. I looked for the larger test kit Walmart used to carry, put like mentioned, they only have the clorox line which only contains a pH and chlorine test. If all goes well we may end up with a better pool next year, especially since our 3yr old is going through swimming lessons and really likes the water.

James, without the test kit result I am afraid to offer any assistance, but for what zea3 said.

That's a lot of CYA so please don't put that all in there or you will have to drain.

Minimally until your kit comes keep 2 cups of bleach in the water and make sure to "stir"

James, without the test kit result I am afraid to offer any assistance, but for what zea3 said.

That's a lot of CYA so please don't put that all in there or you will have to drain.

Minimally until your kit comes keep 2 cups of bleach in the water and make sure to "stir"

No plans to put it all in, if any at the moment. I'm still reading a lot of stuff on the site and trying to take it in. I did get out to patch the leak and my parts have shipped from intex. Now it pouring rain so pool works over for now.

It wouldn't hurt though to stir it with the pole (not while its raining!) every now and again to keep what you have in there moving around a bit and if you could brush it that would be even better.

Your supplies will be here soon I would imagine so do what you can as far as keeping the water in motion and brushing.

If the only thing that is in the water is in fact water and liquid chlorine/bleach you may be able to use the calculator with a starting CYA of zero as it has sat for so long and see how much CYA to get it to 20. 30 is recommended, maybe a bit more for Georgia, but it is better to be cautious when you do not have a reliable set of numbers.
Don't just toss that CYA in there ~ sock it up, with a tube sock, nylons a pair of tights and let it dangle. You can squeeze the sock every now an again.

Add the 2 cups of bleach if you can after the rain concludes too.

Edit to add: I know I contradicted myself in those last two posts ~ but I hate to see the water sit and get worse, and I think a wee bit of CYA will get some longevity out of the liquid chlorine. I think too it may be wisest to add your cups of bleach in the evening when the sun is off that water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.