What do you to maintain correct levels?

swyman

Jun 28, 2016
BLISSFIELD, MI.
Hello all, my first post of many....have lots of questions! I have a 33' round that is 52" deep with a 4' shelf all the way around that tapers to 6'2" in the center. It has a center drain along with skimmer and 2 returns. I have a sand filter and Frogger. This is my 8th season and I hate dealing with this pool, at least trying to clear it up! The last 3 years have been really good, nice and clear so very little maintenance. Well this year my winter cover was ripped to shreds and opened my pool with black water (last 3 years were crystal clear and maintained that all summers). So the pool has been open for a month, I have the bottom super clean (looked with goggles while at bottom) and the water is nice and blue but cloudy and wont take clorine. I have read through a few threads so I won't waste any of you time right now till I get the test kit on my water issue.
The question I want to throw out there is about my Frogger system....is it good? Is there something better/cheaper? Would you recommend switching to salt?
I can't believe it took me so long to finally get on the computer and find this site. My neighbor has a pool service business which he set me up with what I have but is just a total PITA to deal with so I am finally going to take ownership of this pool and get it where it needs to be!
Thanks in advance, Shane

Welcome to TFP :)

We have found the pool frog system to be one of the worst things you can add or use in your pool, it has metals and minerals, usually copper, while ok for killing algae it can turn your pool green, your walls black, your hair green and not keep your pool safe and clean and you still have to use chlorine..

if you can shut it off and take the cartridge out it will help from getting more metals in your pool..

at about 32000 gallons, you can pour 1 gallon of regular unscented not splashless bleach in a day until your test kit arrives

I hope this helps :)

Welcome to TFP :)

We have found the pool frog system to be one of the worst things you can add or use in your pool, it has metals and minerals, usually copper, while ok for killing algae it can turn your pool green, your walls black, your hair green and not keep your pool safe and clean and you still have to use chlorine..

if you can shut it off and take the cartridge out it will help from getting more metals in your pool..

at about 32000 gallons, you can pour 1 gallon of regular unscented not splashless bleach in a day until your test kit arrives

I hope this helps :)

Helps a lot, thanks! Prices are all over the place, what brand do you recommend and where do you get it? Once I get this pool stable how do you determine what and how much stuff to put in....do you just go off of what the readings are?

They recommend getting a TF100 test kit on here and it is totally worth it. The instructions for testing your water are straight forward and you can get accurate results immediately. Use the links they provide for information about taking care of your pool because you should only need a handful of products to maintain your pool like bleach, baking soda, muriatic acid etc.

TFTestkits.net

This is the one I use and highly recommend. It's the best bang for the buck as it contains more reagents for testing tests you do most often.

If you can swing it, get the a Speedstir too. Well worth it and makes your testing easier and much more accurate.

Just ordered the TF100 and the speedstir. What brand and place do you buy the bleach/chlorine? Here's another issue...going on vacation tomorrow for the next 5 days.....with my pool a mess and not getting the kit in time to test water before I leave, what do you recommend I do to try and keep it from turning green while I'm gone?
Thanks for replies!

Add your pool info to your signature so we can quickly find it and answer questions like this one. More here on what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

I buy bleach at the grocery store, concentrated, unscented store brand. I buy muriatic acid at lowes. Raise your chlorine level to 10 ppm and hope for the best. Use Poolmath to calculate how much bleach to add. The link to Poolmatch is up there ^^^.

Add your pool info to your signature so we can quickly find it and answer questions like this one. More here on what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

I buy bleach at the grocery store, concentrated, unscented store brand. I buy muriatic acid at lowes. Raise your chlorine level to 10 ppm and hope for the best. Use Poolmath to calculate how much bleach to add. The link to Poolmatch is up there ^^^.

I put the sig info so I'll se if it works?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Signature shows fine.

Could you please go back in and edit to include filter model, pump model/HP, type of testkit, cleaner and any other info you have on pool equipment. This will make it much easier to see what you have and help us to better tailor anyou suggestions to your specific equipment.

You're going to love the TF100 and Speedstir! Great job getting it ordered!!

If you're leaving for vacation tomorrow, don't worry about the pool. You more than likely need to SLAM the pool as it is so just go. We'll set you straight when you get back.

Ok, finally back from vaca and went right out and did my tests and here are the results:
FC .5
CC .5
CH 350
TA 170
CYA Less than 20ppm???? filled to top and could still see black dot.

Also updated sig with filter and pump info. NOTE: this is my 8th season and my filter has never had the top off it. Should I take it off and clean the top of the sand? (I watched that vid on cleaning sand filters)

If you filter hadn't been deep cleaned in 8 years I'd say you're overdue. I added that to my yearly startup procedure this year.

Add enough CYA to go to 20. You might have some already from the vacation tabs. Get a little more chlorine in today, around 3. Once the CYA is dissolved, use the chart.

How does the water look?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.